Olympus 17mm f/1.8 prime reviewed at Tools and Toys

algold

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alex
I’ve read this review before and you are right - it’s a good review.
The lens isn not perfect, but it works nicely. Got rid of my 20/1.7, sharper or not

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Hmmm - I was reading with an open mind until I saw this:

When it comes to accuracy, though, things are not so great. The Olympus 17mm has a tendency to miss focus in all but the best lighting conditions, which can be pretty frustrating sometimes and cause you to miss shots more often than you’d think.

I've never had ANY m43 lens miss focus, and certainly not the 17.

Also, I've had two copies of the 17. One that I bought right at its launch and another a couple of years ago when it came with a Pen F.

The second copy is notably better than the first and I have no complaints about its sharpness, even right into the corners wide open. I compared it back-to-back with the PL15 and whilst the 15 was ever so slightly better, the differences were very hard to see - and I think that's actually a pretty positive endorsement.

It's one lens I'll probably never sell.

Last edited:

Johnny The Greek

Mu-43 Veteran
Hmmm - I was reading with an open mind until I saw this:

I've never had ANY m43 lens miss focus, and certainly not the 17.

Also, I've had two copies of the 17. One that I bought right at its launch and another a couple of years ago when it came with a Pen F.

The second copy is notably better than the first and I have no complaints about its sharpness, even right into the corners wide open. I compared it back-to-back with the PL15 and whilst the 15 was ever so slightly better, the differences were very hard to see - and I think that's actually a pretty positive endorsement.

It's one lens I'll probably never sell.

Same. I love it to death and it remains glued onto my GX85 80% of the time.

Medley

Mu-43 Regular
I’ve read this review before and you are right - it’s a good review.
The lens isn not perfect, but it works nicely. Got rid of my 20/1.7, sharper or not

I made the same decision. I owned the P20mm for 8 years or so and gave it to my daughter when I bought the O17mm. While the 20 is a lens that renders beautifully, its noisy, slow AF was just something I had grown tired of. For the kind of pictures that I use that sort of lens for, the 17 is perfectly adequate.

algold

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alex
... While the 20 is a lens that renders beautifully, its noisy, slow AF was just something I had grown tired of. For the kind of pictures that I use that sort of lens for, the 17 is perfectly adequate.
IQ of 20/1.7 is very good and its AF did not bother me much, but 20mm just isn't my focal length, it was always either not wide enough, or too short.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom