1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus 17mm F/1.8 -> Hood needed?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sabesh, Mar 31, 2013.

1. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

How's the flare control on this lens? Is a hood needed? I'll be picking up this lens t'rrow: I checked out the lens hood - it's price a rip-off. But, if need be, I'll get one (of course, this would kill the portability of the lens).

I have a Panasonic 20/1.7 and it hardly flares. So, I've been using it without a hood and would like to do the same with the 17/1.8. Thanks.

2. anttipantti

anttipantti Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2012
    Why don't you just get a generic screw in lens hood from ebay for a few bucks. They are cheap, durable and ok looking.

I don't know about the flaring of the O17mm but I almost always use a hood with other lenses for the sake of the image's quality and contrast.

3. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I don't think you need a hood for this lens. It controls flare way better than the 45/1.8 lens, which I ended up buying a lens hood for.

Here's a sample from 2 evenings ago.

8613627668_feb76ba385_c.
    Rena by Taz Spin, on Flickr

4. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Why waste even a few bucks?

I got a cheap lens hood for my Panny 20/1.7 and found no use for it..
    just added bulk to the lens and felt like it slowed down the focus speed even more..

5. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Unless the lens hood can be stored in reverse, I'm not going to bother with it. I've had good experience with flare and the 17/1.8.

6. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

Well, I have the 17/1.8 now. It does exhibit a bit more CA and flare than my 20/1.7. But not enough to justify the bulk of a hood. Going hoodless. Thx!

7. kjk

kjk New to Mu-43

Mar 11, 2013
    New York state
    The JJC brand hood seems to be a decent replacement for the Oly hood, has the same thumbscrew lock system (not a screw in hood), and cost less than half of the Oly hood. Adds some bulk and a little weight but I use hoods more for physical protection of the front element than flare control. After carrying an FF Canon system, the increase weight of these hoods are negligible.

8. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

JJC seems nice, I might get one. Thx!

9. samgrable

samgrable New to Mu-43

Feb 23, 2013
    Salem, OR, USA
    Sam Grable
    I just got the JJC hoods for my 45mm and 17mm 1.8 and my initial impression is that they are much higher quality that I expected. Very pleased!

10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 17mm doesn't need a hood. I'd just get it for lens protection.

11. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Love the 17mm f/1.8 and I'm not using a hood for it, but I do have a Marumi DHG Super protection filter on it.