1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 17mm 2.8 "decoration ring"

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by BLX, May 1, 2014.

1. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    I've got a used 17/2.8 lens where the "decoration" ring is missing
    I have searched and can only find for oly 25 + 45 lenses
    Does anybody know if it is possible to get as a spare part?

Thanks in advance

17mm.

2. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    There is no decorative ring for the 17mm f2.8. (At least mine doesn't have one).

My lens has a blue line instead of a blue front "nose" as seen in your photo.

You can google on how other 17mm look and i would recommend you following up with the shop / person you bought this lens from.

Cheers.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    I've got really cheap - and I knew it was missing. As you can see the outer silver "ring" (or what it is called)
    I was just wondering if it was possible to get this
    The lens works perfectly :D

4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I may be wrong here, as I do not own this lens.

But it appears that this is a part that's not actually supposed to come off (unlike the "decoration" rings on the 45, which conceal the hood bayonet mount and are designed to come off and be put back on). As far as I can tell, on this lens, the only option for mounting a hood would be to screw it onto the filter thread, therefore there's no reason why that ring should ever come off.

It looks like the part you're missing snapped off (ie: it's not meant to come off...ever), and thus you'd likely have to contact Olympus about a replacement part, as it wouldn't be a readily available part.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    Thanks! When I look again I think you're right - I just thought it was the decoration ring like on the 25mm and 45mm.
    It is not a real problem just nit picking - don't like the blue :D

6. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I hate the blue rings as well! Ironically enough, the ring is missing BECAUSE of the blue haha, they could have made it all one piece, had they not try to spice things up with that silly blue ring...if you're feeling adventurous, you could always try painting it semi-gloss or matte black or silver to match the rest of the lens. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    I think my painting skills would cause more damage than good :redface:
    I will ask Olympus if the spare part can be bought for a reasonable price (yes I am naive) otherwise I will with the blue

8. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    That lens looks like it took quite a beating. Do those scratches on the coating show up in the images?