Olympus 17mm 1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by xdayv, Sep 17, 2012.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Anyone getting excited with this lens?

I don't really see how it will fit in my current lens lineup... but wouldn't mind considering this lens somewhere in the future. Kudos to Olympus for this lens, it will solidify the Micro 4/3s lens selection.
  2. david6785

david6785 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 27, 2012
    las vegas
    I'm super excited we have another option besides the 20 in the 35 range. I just got the 20 recently and love it dearly but I do wish it had faster silent focus. I'll see when it comes out but I love the sharpness of the 20 unbelievable! The 60 looks kick ass also, I never had a macro before so I'm thinking about that lense also
  3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Maybe I will replace the 20/1.7 by this new lens, if its shutter lag is much less and its AF is much faster. I'm a bit weary because I like 20mm more as a focal length than 17mm.
  4. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I regularly use the current Olympus 17mm f/2.8 pancake and the only complaint I have with that lens is sometimes I wish it had MSC autofocus and could open up to f1.8 ... so this solves my problems.

I had the Panasonic 20mm for a while and liked it, but the more I've been using MSC lenses the more I absolutely HATE noisy AF. That, and (to my eye) the 20mm renders too harshly/contrasty compared to the current 17mm (which captures plenty of fine detail without the harsh rendering). The 17mm 2.8 is just as noisy as the Panasonic 20mm but hopefully the MSC focus motor will solve that in the new 17mm.

My only concern is that it appears to have the same premium build quality as the 12mm and 75mm. This is good but it also means the new 17mm will probably be expensive. I don't want to spend more than $699 for a good 35mm equivalent lens.
  5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Well, its a good all around focal length, its the second lens in the m43 lineup that actually allows for good and easy zone focus, and it promises to be high quality. I'm not sure whether I'm going to buy it or not since Fuji is coming out with the same focal length at f1.4 sometime next year also, so I'm going to have to decide which camera I want this particular focal length for. Both will likely be similarly expensive is my guess...

6. Brodie337

Brodie337 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
    This is probably priced way out of my league...

But at least I'll have a chance to pick up some second hand glass that people are selling off :p
  7. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Very interested but I dunno between this and the Nokton 17.5mm...

The Zuiko will obviously be smaller, probably cheaper, and come with AF, but the Nokton has that Voigtlander *look*, f0.95 (necessary out this wide if you want any noticeable subject separation, and amazing tactility...
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I'll help you out Ray -- you want this lens with the new EPL5 with tilty screen and EM5 sensor.

There! Shopping done! :biggrin:
  9. ssalley

ssalley New to Mu-43

Jul 6, 2012
    Looks like a great lens
    • Like Like x 1
  10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    The zone focus capability is about all that interests me - I don't notice the focus problems with the 20mm that folks complain about. I guess I don't use it for the type of shots that make slow focus noticeable. :biggrin:
  11. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Replacing my 20mm 1.7

I prefer 17mm to 20mm FOV (spoiled by my X100!). Now all I need is a UWA prime, say an 8mm f2.8. Then I could replace my 9-18 as well.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    I thought I was done with lenses.... I guess not.

This will totally replace my 20mm.

And waaaay in the future (shipping possibly in early 2014?!), I may replace my 45mm with the 42.5mm f1.2 Panasonic announced.
  13. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    This looks very interesting. I was considering acquiring a secondhand 20mm f/1.7 lens, but this looks to be a rather better investment, albeit there's somewhat of a wait before availability.
  14. Azimuth

Azimuth Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Thornbury, Victoria
    You forgot to add a VF-1.
  15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    This lens will be great. The 20's focusing speed is it's biggest weakness. The 12, 17, 45, 75 is looking to be a very nice, though spendy set of Olympus lenses!
  16. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Until I know the price I can't say for sure whether I would consider it or not. Basically it would be a 35mm equivalent and I was never real fond of that focal length in my 35mm film days. Not wide enough when I needed wide but not a normal either. For me the 12mm would probably be the better choice.
  17. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Outside the 50mm focal length, I think the 35mm is one of the favorites FLs.

17mm 1.8 and 25mm 1.4 hhhhmmm.... :biggrin:
  18. djonesii

djonesii Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    price matters a lot!

Lets say it comes in a $500 ....

I then have to ask myself, do I get more utility by spending another $250 an picking up a used fuji X100!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    No PL17 then

Very disappointed that Photokina produced nothing on the rumoured PanaLeica 17.5 summilux to complete my preferred trinity.

Looks like I may have to go for this Oly lens instead. Shame the two companies didn't standardise on the hood fittings.
  20. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    This is the lens I've been waiting for. Depending on price, I will most likely get one when it comes out...