1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus 17mm 1.8: Really bad flares

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ddeveryday, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Ddeveryday

Ddeveryday Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Hi guys, I recently acquired a 17mm 1.8. My copy seems to have really bad flares. I'm wondering if I got a bad copy or not.

We spent a night playing with the sparky fireworks and all the pictures have flares like the picture below:

36ecae7353929283a65ef8acb71d8b60.

2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I don't think that's bad for something as bright as that at night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    Are you using a filter on it? Some filters are very prone to flares.

4. Ddeveryday

Ddeveryday Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    No filter at all. I get those two ball flare when I point the camera to any light source.

The flare is really noticeable and pretty bad compared to my other lens: 20mm 1.7, 45mm 1.8 and 12-40mm.

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    It's about what I'd expect from almost any lens with a completely blown out highlight right in the center of the frame.

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    You do realize firecrackers are designed to be as bright as humanly possible, so it's not exactly a normal situation :p 

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.