1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 17mm 1,8 mm and filters...

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by PantelisMor, Jun 11, 2013.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Hello.

I bought this lens.i think it's an excellent choice... I am thinking to buy a filter for protection.. Which you suggest ;;;

Also i would like to know if there is any other filter which deserve to buy for my om-d ;;;;

Thx a lot for once again...

2. daveinamblerpa

daveinamblerpa Mu-43 Regular

Filter for 17 1.8

hi,
    you might want to get a uv filter to protect the lens. I don't personally use them. I rather use a lens shade to protect the glass. but if you do, pick one that is multicoated and a good quality brand like Hoya, or B&W. The 17 takes a 46mm diameter filter. For vivid blue skys a circular polarizing filter is good to have. Also a 3 times neutral density filter will let you use wide apertures in bright sunlight.
    Best,

Dave

3. phidauex

phidauex Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    Boulder, CO
    I would also recommend using lens hoods for protection instead of a UV filter. I've come to believe that the trend of buying UV filters for "protection" was started by camera stores who wanted to sell more accessories. Lenses are already very sturdy, and don't need a lot of extra protection. A lens hood makes a good bumper for any accidental contact.

The real issue is that filters impact the quality of your photos - I used to wonder why my nice glass wasn't getting the results I was expecting - until I took off my damn UV filters. In bright conditions they were adding a lot of haze and ghosting to my images, and they were high quality filters (brand unmentioned). I've been shooting with no "protection" filters for years now, and haven't damaged any lenses - and my images come out much better.

As for useful filters, circular polarizers are nice for shooting into the sky, and a good ND filter is great for either using wide apertures in the sun, or for slowing your shutter speed down in the sun (to smooth water, or create effects of movement in people or other moving things).

-Sam

4. zenkang

zenkang New to Mu-43

May 17, 2013
    Is it possible to use the 25mm f1.4 lens hood on the 17mm f1.8?

Hope Olympus could make some cheap plastic lens hoods...

5. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    If a UV filter is what you're looking for, any multi coated UV filters by B+W, Rodenstock, and Hoya will be good (the first 2 are my favorites).

One thing I should mention, if you get a UV filter get a good one: $35 USD to $75 USD. A cheap UV filter, multi coated or not, will give you more problems than you'd need. In film days you could get away with putting cheap-o filters on with minimal side effects, but there's a lot of specialty coatings and glass elements nowadays. A good rule is: if your lens is relatively expensive and you want a filter, get a relatively expensive filter. You want it to do its job and not be noticed.

For me personally, I've gone the lens hood route. I used to have UV filters on everything. Heh, I just might switch back at some point or have some with hoods and some with filters. I'm fickle like that. The only lens that I always have a UV filter on is the 12-50 Oly EZ-Zoom, and only because I specifically use it for inclement weather- it's easier to clean the flat UV filter of water drops/mist than the curved front element of the lens (also accidentally scratching the UV filter from cleaning in bad weather I could bare... I'd rather not do that to the front element of the lens).

6. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I don't buy UV filters... I buy MRC clear protective filters. Basically just clear glass for protection. Either B+W or Hoya is good. It just makes it easier to clean the front part of the lens.

Also, a lens hood is essential to any lens, either for protection or better IQ.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

7. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
  8. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yes just buy any 46mm lens hood... slotted lens hood similar to the original can be found on ebay for less than $10.

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I know it's a disputed point, but IMHO this idea of using UV filters for protection is a complete fallacy:

- Filter glass is fragile compared to the lens. It's easy to break and if it does, it'll likely shower your lens with tiny sharp broken glass fragments. These will be hard to remove without scratching the coatings.

- If you drop the lens and it lands on the filter, not only will you have shards of broken filter on your lens, but chances are you'll have a bent filter mount making it almost impossible to remove what's left of the filter.

- FIlters WILL reduce IQ to some extent. There's flare/ghosting/contrast reduction as others have said and with long lenses, unless you get v.high quality and perfectly flat glass, there'll be a drop in sharpness.

Really, the best protection for your lens is a good hood and being aware where you're sticking it!

10. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    While I totally agree with this, as someone who used to shoot a lot in dusty and/or near the waves, a good protective filter is essential to avoid water splash stain, dusts, dirt on the front elements. For some reason these filters are way easier to clean too than front elements.

Although I also used my Sigma 12-24mm with bulbous front, no filter and very very short hood without damage for a few years while taking photos in those places.

So yes if you don't want to use filters then be carefully where you stick your lenses.