1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 17mm 1.8 Issue

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Anthon, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    Hi, first of all sorry for my bad English.

I've just received my brand new 17mm 1.8 and i realized some kind of "malfunctioning"

Here are the steps:

1: Set the camera in MF mode

2: put the lens focus ring in AF position

3: try to focus an object as close as possible

4: put the lens focus ring in MF position

5: now try to focus on the same objet as before. With my lens i'm unable to do it at the same distance, I have to move backward and give more distance to be able to focus the same object .

Is it normal that the minimun focus distance is higher with the focus ring in MF than in AF position? Even when the camera is set in MF all the time? Is my lens a defective one?

Here are two pictures, with the ring in AF position I can focus on the first leaf, while in MF position it's impossible.

Ring in AF position

_7060038.jpg

Ring in MF position

_7060039.jpg

Thanks in advantage!

2. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    Would appreciate some light here. Could someone try the steps and see if his 17mm 1.8 behaves the same way?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

3. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Yes. Yes. No.

This is the expected behavior for this lens. The minimum focus distance is slightly longer when the clutch wheel is pulled back into manual focus, than it is when pushed forward and the camera is set in either AF or MF.

The reasoning for this probably has to do with the fact that the lens focuses in a finite number of discrete steps when the clutch ring is pulled back into MF.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    thank you a lot :2thumbs:

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea - mine does the same. It's what the engineers would call " as designed"!

• Like Like x 1