Olympus 17mm 1:1.8 image samples

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by addieleman, Nov 9, 2012.

1. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Fresh image samples from this new lens can be found at 43rumors. I'll repeat my comment that I entered there.

I expect this lens to focus faster and also show up with less shutter lag than the Panny 20/1.7, but that's about it. I was hoping to be blown away by the 17/1.8's image quality, but not so much.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Compared to my 20, the wider FOV, presumably faster AF speed and build/features will get me on board if it's $500 ballpark. Need the extra speed to keep up with my soon-to-be-a-toddler, and would be more useful to me outdoors for everything else than a PL25.

I'm sure it's going to be plenty sharp.

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Well ... there is a limit to image quality and sharpness.
    Perhaps the 20mm hits close to that limit but is lacking focus speed.
    If the new 17mm is also close to that limit but has a much faster focus speed : you can't really get better than that, right?
    (I haven't looked.)

If, however, there's a major fault (such as too much CA or vibration blurring) then the stuff's going to hit the fan.

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It is hard for me to tell on those images what is unsharp edges and what is focus/DoF.

5. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    Even in the floor one? That's not too hard.
    In those examples there's some CA and some edge softness, but it's indeniably too soon to take any conclusions.

ooops! I missed the second page. The wall at 5.6 doesn't look bad at all, given the huge software correction it needs. Get rid of the CA and it looks pretty good. Given the huge software correction... Uhmmm. Well, the panny 20mm needs it too, and it's a great lens.
    So, we wanted small lenses. We have them, and we'll miss a truly optically corrected lens. When you slant those extreme borders, you will never get a perfect border at any aperture. That's stuff for larger and dearer lenses.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Kilauea

Kilauea Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Canada
    Nicolas
    I agree, is it out of focus or unsharp ? With such an image, it is incredibly hard - for me at least - to figure out what should be in focus and thus be sharp and what shouldn't. What is in focus is nice (even if I didn't look at it in all the possible ways.

7. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    on the floor shot, the right edge is way sharper than the left edge. Camera is held crocked putting the left edge out of focus. Not a good shot to measure sharpness

8. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I think what you guys are looking at the compression artifacts.

I downloaded one of these JPEGs and it's only about 6 MB. I'm not home right now but can someone take a look at the RAW files?

The site linked from 43Rumors indicate it's shot with an E-M5, at 16 MP aren't the JPEGs quite a bit bigger?

Nevermind, just re-read the post and it says they shot with JPEG + RAW and it's OOC compression. Hmm...

I noticed at f/5.6 even the centre isn't THAT sharp. Maybe being a review copy some of these things will improve.

9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Let us hope that these are bad photos, and this is not a bad lens. But seriously -- when was the last time we got a bad Zuiko? Maybe the original EP1 lenses (17 and 14-42 I) but Olympus has a stellar track record. Let's not panic.

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I agree 100%, and these samples look GREAT to me. Very sharp throughout most of the frame, very pleasing bokeh quality, and very little axial CA. If this is less than $800, sign me up.

For those who want edge to edge superb performance, you won't find it in this size. I hope and expect that the Schneider Kreuznach 14mm lens will deliver the goods for those who need that kind of performance.

11. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Just throwing this out there now that I've had a chance to look at the RAW files. Seems like when the edges are soft @ f/5.6, it's almost equally soft across the frame. Could it be the tester trying to manual focus and missing it?

Bokeh looks good to me.

12. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Funny how $500 lenses are considered bargains in m43 land...

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

13. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    While I agree, one should also consider the extend of miniaturization afforded by the m43 system. There is some inherent value to it.

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    But.....
    An APS-C DSLR is cheaper than a full frame DSLR....And a full frame DSLR is cheaper than a Medium Format digital....

15. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I suspect that market size is more important than camera size. APS-C DSLRs sell in greater numbers than full frame DSLRs, medium format digital, and M43 cameras.

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Fair enough.
    However, "everyone" is saying that Mirrorless cameras are selling more than DSLRs....(at least these are the arguments that I'm seeing on da' net) :biggrin:

17. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I agree 200%. These samples look GREAT and plenty sharp. But I personally am pleasantly surprised at the bokeh quality. It seems that this lens can produce blurrier backgrounds than the 20/1.7. Judging from these images, I'll likely sell my 25/1.4 (my wife has the 20/1.7) and switch to this classic 35mm FF equivalent.

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    The M. Zuiko might have more blades than the Lumix 20mm....

• Like Like x 1
  19. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    That may be true. I just tend to think that the wider the lens, the harder it is to achieve that bokeh quality (12/2, 20/1.7). If the price is right and the size is indeed somewhere between a pancake and the 45/1.8, I'm on board. :biggrin:

20. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    The data I've seen indicates that the mirrorless market is growing and the APS-C DSLR market seems to be declining slightly, but that's about rate of growth. In sheer total numbers, which is what counts for what I'm saying, APS-C DSLRs are still selling in much greater numbers than mirrorless.