Olympus 17/2.8 - Tips & Tricks?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by wlewisiii, Jul 26, 2013.

1. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Thanks to having the money when KEH actually had one in stock, I have my first :43: prime coming to use with my E-PL1. I've read a lot about the lens' various pluses and minuses so I'm not too concerned about that.

What I do want to have some thoughts on from those who own and like the lens, is if there are any tips or tricks that you have for using it?

I expect this to be my primary lens with my Industar-61L/D 55/2.8 as it's backup. I tend to shoot in jpg, 1:1 format & monochrome modes. Lots of landscape, smaller amount of urban still life, & a very small amount of street or portrait.
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    William, I don't have the 17/2.8, but I do have the 1.8 and for most purposes I think the same tips and tricks will apply.

Firstly, stating the obvious I know, but you need to get used to the field of view. For me, the 17mm FL gives a nice 'wide normal' FOV and works great for environmental portraits / full body shots, landscapes, street, group shots, panoramas (with stitching), and general indoor & outdoor shooting. It's not great for head and shoulders or closer portraits due to perspective distortion (big noses!) and it's not fantastic at close up work. At f2.8, you'll struggle to get good DOF separation too.

Coupled with your 55mm, it should make a good combo. I took a look at your portfolio set - some really nice shots there (although I skipped the shots of the guns and the Liberal Gun Club forum!!:wink:).
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Don't let anyone tell you that it's a marginal or sub-par lens - just have fun! :smile: