1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 17 1.8 owners question for you :)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by HappyFish, Mar 27, 2014.

1. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    OK just got my 17 from the refurb deal since this is my first lens with the clutch not sure if I have a bad lens or just the way it is ?

camera E-M1
    when I pull back to engage and then use the lens if I move the focus ring quick there is a sleight lag it feels like compared to when I just put it in manual mode and not use the clutch ? anyone notice this ?
    again its very sleight but feels like its there

kinda like some do not really notice the lag in TTL flash mode ? to me TTL is a huge lag in comparison this lag is smaller but noticeable

thanks in advance to anyone that can help :)

on a side note WOW smaller than I though ? I mean I know it was small but kinda made me smile at how small :)

2. nixapatfan

nixapatfan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2014
    It's normal it's till focus by wire when using the clutch. All it gives you is distance/zone focusing, peaking doesn't work with the clutch either.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    bummer about peaking ?

yeah I am used to that disconnect feeling :) more just curious if the lag is for sure more with just the clutch though ?

4. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    peaking works on the clutch for me :)
    have a myset for manual and the front buttons I use one magnify and the the other peaking I pull the clutch hit the peaking and its working :)
    would be nice if you could set it to pull the clutch and have peaking ? maybe can not sure still have not played with it much yet

I do think the clutch will be handy to use for those times when its dark enough and can use the zone focus anyway still way more impressed with the build than I thought it was going to be :)

5. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    When I pull the 12-40 zoom into manual focus using the clutch the focus aids (magnify and/or peaking) get activated (on my E-P5).
    When the clutch is activated on the 17 1.8 it does not.
    This seems to be a bug that could and should be fixed with a firmware update...
    Rudy

• Like Like x 2
  6. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Rudy do you notice the lag I am noticing ?
    again its sleight

if I use the clutch alone on the 17 its got a very sleight delay vs not using the clutch ?

7. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I don't notice any lag with the clutch.
    There is one more weird thing I see with focus assist and the clutch (on E-P5).
    If I'm in MF or SF+MF and manually focus using the ring I get the focus assist as usual.
    If I then pull the clutch AND keep fiddling with the ring the focus assist stays on.
    Once I stop turning the ring focus assist goes away after a little delay and does not come back when turning the ring.
    So this clearly is a bug that could and should be fixed.
    Rudy

• Like Like x 1
  8. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The EP5 must be different. I wouldn't bet on my EPL5, EM5, or EPL1 going into magnify mode when the clutch is pulled back (and camera set in MF with MF assist on). They might enter magnify mode because the focus ring got turned as the clutch was pulled. Then they jump right out of magnify, regardless if the focus ring keeps moving.

As for the lag mentioned by the OP, it's probably subjective.To me, the Panasonic 20mm feels just as direct in manual focus as the 17 with the ring pulled back, but the 40-150 zoom feels very uncoupled in manual focus. I do feel the 17mm is more direct with the clutch in. Don't feel there is any lag.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    I have both 12-40 and 17 1.8. Assuming you enable the peaking - When the clutch is pulled back, I think the peaking is only on with 12-40 but not 17 1.8; while if you set focus to MF through the camera menu, the peaking is on with both lenses. I think it is a software bug on EM-1.

• Like Like x 1