Olympus' 16MP Global Shutter Sensor with 2MP 10000 fps Mode!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gravijaflare, Apr 23, 2015.

1. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
  2. Peejay

Peejay Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    Paris, France
    "A 16Mpixel 3D stacked CMOS image sensor with pixel level interconnections using 4,008,960 micro bumps at a 7.6μm pitch, which set no layout restriction and causes no harm to sensor characteristics, was developed to achieve both a 16Mpixel global-shutter mode with a -180dB PLS and 2Mpixel 10000fps high speed image capturing mode."

This is mostly gibberish to me but I’m a civil and not an electronic engineer; I can grasp the concept and advantages of global shutter and its compatibility with CCD but not CMOS sensors and the fact that CCD sensors are necessary for lab microscopes due precisely to their capability to achieve global shutter.

It would seem that Olympus have found a way to achieve global shutter with CMOS sensors (which are easier and therefore cheaper to produce), but wouldn't that be for microscope application rather than mere photography ?
  3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Global shutter allows for video without jello effect and high speed electronic shutter capable of recording action stills. It would be fantastic for a m43 camera.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011