1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Showcase Olympus 15mm f/8 Bodycap Lens

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by The Minimalist, Oct 6, 2012.

1. F8 and be there

I think this will be a great street shooter lens. It makes my E-P2 small enough to fit in a jacket pocket and it looks sharp enough. I need to make some prints to really tell but I think it will be just fine. I think Maitani would approve. Pictures taken on a wet Pacific Northwest late afternoon with a light rain at ISO 800. It's a hoot!

20121022_1_015.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

20121022_1_020.jpg

20121022_1_022.jpg

20121022_1_023.jpg

20121022_1_024.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  2. F8 and be there update

I printed these two. They both make nice prints at 11x15. I printed the Mini Fall Corn image at 16x20. It's starting to get a little bit soft but still makes a nice print. And this is an image shot at ISO 800 on an E-P2 on a late rainy afternoon in very diffuse light. I'm very happy with the results. This is not a toy lens. Back in the film days the street shooting mantra was "F8 and be there". This little lens makes micro 4/3 cameras great f8 street shooters. Cheap, fast, and out of control.

20121022_1_020.jpg

20121022_1_024.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Really enjoying these photos, and waiting for my lens to come! Has anyone in the US received one yet? I pre-ordered with Olympus.

4. I'm in the US and mine arrived yesterday from B&H.

5. f64

f64 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2010
    I also pre-ordered from Olympus; and I was expecting the lens by the end of this month, but I noticed today that the Olympus website changed the lens availability to:

LIMITED QUANTITIES AVAILABLE
    Expected to ship in late 2012 / early 2013

I guess we should have ordered from B&H.

6. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Pro photo in Portland had it in stock today.

7. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I believe this lens used in conjunction with the Streetshooter Nik SEP 2 profiles would be a wonderful combination. The profiles add a little grain and therefore negates the negative sharpness aspects of the lens.

Great for my "antique EP1" that does not get as much work as it should. This lens fully rectifies any focusing delays with the EP1, provides a low cost, sturdy and high quality combination for street shooting. I am guessing that the VF1 would also be "close enough" (FOV) to use for framing in bright conditions.

I do not have this lens as yet, but I believe that ISO 1600 on an EP1, or higher would be easily usable, especially when using the SEP 2 profiles mentioned above.

I hope they are in stores in my area soon.

8. Having this little lens on my E-P2 lets me have it in my pocket all the time and I'm taking more pictures. Who knew! The E-P2 is a little large for this lens. I have a E-PM1 on the way. I picked up a factory refurb for $169. I think the little Pen Mini will be a great match for the 15mm body cap lens. This lens is way too much fun. I made 11x15 prints of these and they look just fine.

20121023_15mm-payless_001.jpg

20121023_15mm-payless_002.jpg

20121024_15mm-body-cap_001.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  9. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Ouch! Live and learn, won't do that again. You'd think a company would honor pre-orders directly from them over orders to retailers--if for no other reason than profit.

10. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i love this lens, everything that comes out of it has a feel to it like its already been postprocessed or something

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    "Cheap, fast, and out of control."

Gordon, this may be the tag line for the 15.

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    F8 at 6400? Was the shutter speed long enough for an espresso?:cool: 

• Like Like x 1
  13. ctc

ctc Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 5, 2012
    Denmark, Copenhagen
    Claus Tom Christensen
    Only a very fast Espresso.... The shutter speed was 1/25s :)  A dark café in the last day light. But the EM-5's image stabilization system was a big help ;-)

14. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    EU
    I stoll don't umderstand how body-cap can make postures with this kind of strange atmosphere :) 

15. Lili

Lili Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 24, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Lovely work here
    adore the draw of this lens, like a very subtle Holaesque
    not over the top
    argh that I have to wait for mine
    :) 

16. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    A triumph of framing over sharpness!

• Like Like x 1
  17. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
    I just ordered one :biggrin:

I will come back here with some results, soon!

18. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    The cap on a GX1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 14
  19. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hawkeye?

It suddenly dawned on me - the sample B&W photos in this thread, from this lens, remind me of the photos from the very first camera I owned.

When I was about 8 years old I received a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye camera. It used 620 size film, 2.25" x 2.25", black and white, aperture @ f/22 (maybe f/16?) and a shutter speed of 1/30 to 1/60. Flashbulbs, of course, in a separate flash attachment.

The Hawkeye, with a negative of 2.25x2.25 was capable of some very sharp photos under the correct conditions...but not in my hands :rolleyes: .

Not to wax nostalgic, but I'll be interested in seeing what I can do with this "lens cap" when it comes in (in a few days). I think black & white in a square format will be kinda nifty.

Thanks to everyone for posting the examples.

Regards,

Jim

20. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
    urban december

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[ GF1 with Olympus 15mm/f8 ]

• Like Like x 13
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.