Showcase Olympus 15mm f/8 Bodycap Lens

Gordon Coale

New to Mu-43
F8 and be there

I think this will be a great street shooter lens. It makes my E-P2 small enough to fit in a jacket pocket and it looks sharp enough. I need to make some prints to really tell but I think it will be just fine. I think Maitani would approve. Pictures taken on a wet Pacific Northwest late afternoon with a light rain at ISO 800. It's a hoot!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Gordon Coale

New to Mu-43
F8 and be there update

I printed these two. They both make nice prints at 11x15. I printed the Mini Fall Corn image at 16x20. It's starting to get a little bit soft but still makes a nice print. And this is an image shot at ISO 800 on an E-P2 on a late rainy afternoon in very diffuse light. I'm very happy with the results. This is not a toy lens. Back in the film days the street shooting mantra was "F8 and be there". This little lens makes micro 4/3 cameras great f8 street shooters. Cheap, fast, and out of control.

Mellow

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom
Really enjoying these photos, and waiting for my lens to come! Has anyone in the US received one yet? I pre-ordered with Olympus.

f64

Mu-43 Regular
Mellow said:
Really enjoying these photos, and waiting for my lens to come! Has anyone in the US received one yet? I pre-ordered with Olympus.
I also pre-ordered from Olympus; and I was expecting the lens by the end of this month, but I noticed today that the Olympus website changed the lens availability to:

LIMITED QUANTITIES AVAILABLE
Expected to ship in late 2012 / early 2013

I guess we should have ordered from B&H.

sokar

Mu-43 Veteran
I believe this lens used in conjunction with the Streetshooter Nik SEP 2 profiles would be a wonderful combination. The profiles add a little grain and therefore negates the negative sharpness aspects of the lens.

Great for my "antique EP1" that does not get as much work as it should. This lens fully rectifies any focusing delays with the EP1, provides a low cost, sturdy and high quality combination for street shooting. I am guessing that the VF1 would also be "close enough" (FOV) to use for framing in bright conditions.

I do not have this lens as yet, but I believe that ISO 1600 on an EP1, or higher would be easily usable, especially when using the SEP 2 profiles mentioned above.

I hope they are in stores in my area soon.

Gordon Coale

New to Mu-43
Having this little lens on my E-P2 lets me have it in my pocket all the time and I'm taking more pictures. Who knew! The E-P2 is a little large for this lens. I have a E-PM1 on the way. I picked up a factory refurb for $169. I think the little Pen Mini will be a great match for the 15mm body cap lens. This lens is way too much fun. I made 11x15 prints of these and they look just fine.

Mellow

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom
I also pre-ordered from Olympus; and I was expecting the lens by the end of this month, but I noticed today that the Olympus website changed the lens availability to:

LIMITED QUANTITIES AVAILABLE
Expected to ship in late 2012 / early 2013

I guess we should have ordered from B&H.
Ouch! Live and learn, won't do that again. You'd think a company would honor pre-orders directly from them over orders to retailers--if for no other reason than profit.

Bokeaji

Gonzo's Dad O.*
i love this lens, everything that comes out of it has a feel to it like its already been postprocessed or something

ctc

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Claus Tom Christensen
Only a very fast Espresso.... The shutter speed was 1/25s :) A dark café in the last day light. But the EM-5's image stabilization system was a big help ;-)

micz87

Mu-43 Regular
I stoll don't umderstand how body-cap can make postures with this kind of strange atmosphere :)

Lili

Mu-43 Veteran
Lovely work here
adore the draw of this lens, like a very subtle Holaesque
not over the top
argh that I have to wait for mine
:)

red

Mu-43 Veteran
I just ordered one :biggrin:

I will come back here with some results, soon!

alessandro

Mu-43 Regular
The cap on a GX1

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
Hawkeye?

It suddenly dawned on me - the sample B&W photos in this thread, from this lens, remind me of the photos from the very first camera I owned.

When I was about 8 years old I received a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye camera. It used 620 size film, 2.25" x 2.25", black and white, aperture @ f/22 (maybe f/16?) and a shutter speed of 1/30 to 1/60. Flashbulbs, of course, in a separate flash attachment.

The Hawkeye, with a negative of 2.25x2.25 was capable of some very sharp photos under the correct conditions...but not in my hands :rolleyes:.

Not to wax nostalgic, but I'll be interested in seeing what I can do with this "lens cap" when it comes in (in a few days). I think black & white in a square format will be kinda nifty.

Thanks to everyone for posting the examples.

Regards,

Jim

red

Mu-43 Veteran
urban december

[ GF1 with Olympus 15mm/f8 ]

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom