1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Showcase Olympus 15mm f/8 Bodycap Lens

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by The Minimalist, Oct 6, 2012.

1. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    IMG_20161224_155153_217.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Love this lens, so liberating!

• Like Like x 12
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus loser

Nov 16, 2010
    20170111-P1070504mu.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  3. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I dunno, I've done simple, quick comparisons between my Nexus 6(when I had it) and 6p(which I now have, and has a 1/2.3" sensor) and GM1+15mm body cape combo, and in good light the I will give the GM1 the slight advantage, specially when zooming in/cropping. At night my 6p has a slight advantage with the lens being F2, though the GM1 does do high iso, much much cleaner. I actually wasn't a fan of combo with the GF3, but with the GM1 I am.

5. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus loser

Nov 16, 2010
    I took my good ol' E-P1 to a walk
    20170120-E-P1021mu.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    It's a nice camera. I only traded up to the EP-2 because I'm addicted to eye level viewfinders. Old and set in my ways, I guess.

7. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus loser

Nov 16, 2010
    I know what you mean, I use the Olympus VF-1 optical viewfinder when I shoot with E-P1 and 15mm BCL. The whole view from that is pretty close to the 15mm FL, the guide lines for framing are for 17mm.

8. Cerita

Cerita Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2017
    Toronto
    I just bought this cap lens, hard to find and when I did find it, no one had stock but I managed to get one. I really like some of the images in this showcase, very impressive!!

9. Cerita

Cerita Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2017
    Toronto
    I took this with the EPL 5 and used the i-enhance filter, then edited in LR. The CA is dreadful! I'll have to try this lens on a sunny day.

spadina15mmbcl.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  10. Cerita

Cerita Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2017
    Toronto
    and another...

anotherbclshot.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  11. lightscribe

lightscribe New to Mu-43

Oct 9, 2017
    F8 and be there, Happy New Year,
    JC290117f8.jpg
    from the banks of the sunny Delaware River, NE PA USA. (13 degrees F).

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  12. BleedingGumsMurphy

BleedingGumsMurphy Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2017
    Thailand
    Just got it today, so much fun. Have been using with all the in camera styles.
    653882427_polarr.jpg

240446539_polarr.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  13. BleedingGumsMurphy

BleedingGumsMurphy Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2017
    Thailand
    P1100650.JPG
    Trying to get that Cartier Bresson hopping over a puddle thing :biggrin:

P1100792.JPG
    The best camera is the one you have with you, this is a moment that otherwise wouldn't be captured.

P1100758.JPG
    I still need more practice at stealthy shots. Altering clarity and sharpness does very little with this lens, you just have to accept the lack of detail. Usually they can help when motion blur is a problem.

P1100741.JPG
    Whilst walking - I wonder if this would have been better with my iPhone? The iPhone will have better glass but a GM5 sensor might make up for the 15mm BCL? I might do a shoot off tomorrow with a few shots.

EDIT: 15mm f8 BCL + GM5 Vs iPhone SE (camera similar to iPhone 6s)
    I just did a quick test comparing the two which are about the same focal length. The iPhone absolutely killed the camera combo. It wasn't even close. The only thing the camera won was less distortion- the iPhone has terrible distortion for items quite close e.g. a painting on the wall about 1 meter away. The iPhone had far more accurate colour, brighter, more accurate exposure, much sharper images.

The 15mm is utter trash and well worthy of it's "worst lens in the world" accolade. I will have to remember this isn't a "pocketable camera solution" because my cheap phone is better (I have a camera case for it with a shutter button on the way and a Flipbac grip will probably be added). The 15mm is purely for when I want the feel of a camera and to use the in-camera styles for something funky and fun.

I am going to repeat it with the phone Vs the GM5 and the 12-32 to hopefully vindicate the camera...

12-32mm at 15mm + GM5 Vs iPhone SE
    The iPhone again lost the close up challenge with horrific distortion. The colors this time were much better from the camera. The sharpness this time the GM5 + 12-32 killed the iPhone. Absolutely no comparison at all.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  14. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus loser

Nov 16, 2010
    20180402-P4022473mu.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  15. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    Boring bricks
    15mmBCL_bricks.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.