Showcase Olympus 15mm f/8 Bodycap Lens

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
And yet in that blog he says this ;
Opitically it is okayish, I would say almost but not as good as kit zoom at the same focal length. I have not tried them head to head but will check that later.
Now I'm not saying he lying, but if that's true it flies in the face of plenty of visual evidence from a growing number of previews, reviews, blogs and threads.

htc

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Harry
My apologies in advance. I just have great difficulties to understand the reason of the existence of that lens. Why and what is it for? What I have seen it's not so good and it's way too dark also. Even too cheap :biggrin:

Is the price so strong point that it goes over the 14 mm panasonic?

Or am I just thinking too short?

David A

Mu-43 All-Pro
All I can say is that you are not alone in asking that yet it's not a question for others. The lens has severe limitations in use and image quality yet some people are using it, making some nice but not great images with it, and having fun with it. I have one on order.

If it doesn't appeal to you, that's fine. No lens suits everyone.

htc

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Harry
The lens has severe limitations in use and image quality yet some people are using it
But why on earth people suddenly accept "severe limitations in use and image quality"? What's the fun of that? I'm just trying to understand.

htc

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Harry
maybe it challenges people to create with less...
That I can somehow understand trough my iPhone/Instagram combination, but there you don't have to buy top end m43 body and the ruin everything with that pin hole lens. Okay, almost everything. :rolleyes:

David A

Mu-43 All-Pro
But why on earth people suddenly accept "severe limitations in use and image quality"? What's the fun of that? I'm just trying to understand.
Pick any camera and lens combination and you've got some limitations in use and image quality. Minimum focus distance, maximum and minimum apertures, ISO range, image size, shutter speeds. There are always limitations. In some cases they are a bit more extreme than others.

There's always a bit of a challenge involved when you start to bump up against limitations and sometimes we do want to challenge ourselves. I spent some time a while ago playing around with night photography on the street and in the city in areas lit only by street and/or shop lights and lighting from vehicles, but doing it at ISO 200 with exposures of around 1/25 sec at F/1.4 to F/2 with the PL25. It can be done and I like some of the results, but most people would told me that I couldn't do that and that I should simply raise ISO setting. Well, you can shoot night shots like that and I wouldn't have found that out if I hadn't pushed a limitation.

All I can say is that challenges can be fun and that there's a lot of photography that can be done when the best image quality isn't a concern. Take a look at some of the photos coming from this lens and they're actually not bad—certainly nowhere near the best but also not near as bad in quality as some of the photos I've seen that were taken with pinhole body caps or Holga style lenses, or taken with high quality cameras back in the 60s and 70s with vaseline smeared on the lenses. And a lot of the photos coming from this lens are also better than I expected it would deliver when I placed my order for one.

There are times when I want to take the best and sharpest picture I can, times when I just want to grab a picture in order to remember something, and times when I just want to play. This is a lens for the last 2 of those uses, with emphasis a bit to the fun side.

That's my personal take. I've ordered locally and they won't be released in Australia until early November by the look of it so it's still a few weeks before I can start trying mine out. I'll see what it can do for me then but I am looking forward to using it.

f64

Mu-43 Regular
htc said:
My apologies in advance. I just have great difficulties to understand the reason of the existence of that lens. Why and what is it for? What I have seen it's not so good and it's way too dark also. Even too cheap :biggrin:

Is the price so strong point that it goes over the 14 mm panasonic?

Or am I just thinking too short?
I'm thinking the lens exists because some of the engineers and optical designers at Olympus had some fun one day while the managers weren't looking. :D

Now that it exists, people who like to have fun with optics can't resist.
I will add it to my collection of pinholes, a Holga, toy cameras, various old (some VERY OLD) mis-match-mount lenses that I can used reversed, and other optical oddities.
Now that I think about it, I may be a bit odd too.

The Minimalist

Mu-43 Veteran
I have enjoyed using this lens and I like the way it renders images. sure it is certainly not the sharpest, infact it is the least sharp of all the lenses I have used, but for my taste, there is something nice about the images it produces.
I am now taken a camera out with me more so than ever before. For me that's a good thing.

stonetape72

Mu-43 Regular
Took my 15mm out for its first real test today - it was a miserable, grey, overcast morning with intermittent rain, so bad conditions for a lens like this, and yet it performed OK. A few samples below, full set here; Old Leigh, Oct 21st 2012 / OM-D + Olympus 15mm body cap lens - a set on Flickr

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/75427647@N07/8109154457/" title="PA210004.jpg by S P Collins, on Flickr">View attachment 237455"800" height="600" alt="PA210004.jpg"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/75427647@N07/8109197570/" title="PA210018.jpg by S P Collins, on Flickr">View attachment 237456"800" height="450" alt="PA210018.jpg"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/75427647@N07/8109213594/" title="PA210021.jpg by S P Collins, on Flickr">View attachment 237457"800" height="600" alt="PA210021.jpg"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/75427647@N07/8109249740/" title="PA210024.jpg by S P Collins, on Flickr">View attachment 237458"800" height="600" alt="PA210024.jpg"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/75427647@N07/8109296452/" title="PA210088.jpg by S P Collins, on Flickr">View attachment 237459"800" height="800" alt="PA210088.jpg"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/75427647@N07/8109300490/" title="PA210092.jpg by S P Collins, on Flickr">View attachment 237460"800" height="800" alt="PA210092.jpg"></a>

Cruzan80

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Sean Rastsmith
Were these shot straight as JPEG, or ran thru PP? If straight off the camera, #2 and #4 (to a lesser extent) look like what happens when I move the Clarity bar to +100 in LR. Not bad, per se, but definitely an interesting character.

stonetape72

Mu-43 Regular
Were these shot straight as JPEG, or ran thru PP? If straight off the camera, #2 and #4 (to a lesser extent) look like what happens when I move the Clarity bar to +100 in LR. Not bad, per se, but definitely an interesting character.
They were all shot RAW with varying levels of PP in LR4. I tend to use +50 clarity a lot.

chasm

Mu-43 Veteran
I like these photos a lot. Slightly surreal, I can't work out why - perhaps that's just the magic of Essex.
I don't think I've ever shot my Panasonic 14mm at f8, I wonder how different it would be?

Joe777

Mu-43 Veteran
Stonetape72.

Nice shots.
I used to live on Silversea Drive, Leigh-on-Sea back in the late 50's.

stonetape72

Mu-43 Regular
I like these photos a lot. Slightly surreal, I can't work out why - perhaps that's just the magic of Essex.
I don't think I've ever shot my Panasonic 14mm at f8, I wonder how different it would be?
Thanks a lot. I'd expect the P14 to be far sharper than this, but then it's 3 times the price!

Stonetape72.
Nice shots.
I used to live on Silversea Drive, Leigh-on-Sea back in the late 50's.
Many thanks. Small world, eh? Silversea is still a very nice street, I reckon it won't have changed a great deal since you left.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom