Olympus 15mm f/8 Body Cap Lens Available for Pre-Order

applemint

Mu-43 Veteran
I think it's safe to assume this is now the smallest micro 4/3 lens. What is the smallest body?

What would be the smallest micro 4/3 setup now?

Depends - the E-PM1 is shorter than the GF3 and GF5 but also wider, it's thinner than the GF5 but the GF3 is slightly thinner than the E-PM1:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 dimensions: 107.7x67.1x32.5 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 dimensions: 107.7x66.6x36.8 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)

Olympus PEN Mini E-PM1 dimensions: 109.5x63.7x34 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)

Olympus PEN E-PM2 dimensions: 109.8x64.2x33.8 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)
(Width: Height: Depth)

Overall I would say the GF3 (just) due to the smaller width - but it depends which dimension is most important to you. Not a lot in it. :smile:

f64

Mu-43 Regular
I pre-ordered the 15mm lens from OlympusUSA. They sent me a $10 discount code for my birthday a few weeks ago, and I was wondering what to do with it! So, for $39.99 (+tax/shipping), what the heck.

Anyway, I am looking forward to putting the lens on my EP-3 and turning it into a Kodak Pocket Instamatic :biggrin:
(By coincidence, the 110 film format of the Instamatic is nearly the same size as the :43: sensor!)

tdekany

Mu-43 All-Pro
I pre-ordered the 15mm lens from OlympusUSA. They sent me a $10 discount code for my birthday a few weeks ago, and I was wondering what to do with it! So, for $39.99 (+tax/shipping), what the heck.

Anyway, I am looking forward to putting the lens on my EP-3 and turning it into a Kodak Pocket Instamatic :biggrin:
(By coincidence, the 110 film format of the Instamatic is nearly the same size as the :43: sensor!)

I just looked at the site and can't find the lens listed anywhere?

Have a link?

lenshoarder

Mu-43 All-Pro
Here is the Olympus link:

BODY CAP LENS 15mm | Olympus

Also, B&H lowered their pre-order price to $49.

Sweet. I might have to go in. It's perfect for a little project I have in mind. I shoot a lot in 3D now. The best camera so far is my fuji. On specs it's a great little P&S shooter. It supports full PASM modes. The problem is that the picture quality is crap. It's just not a very good camera. I wish they would rev it with better sensors. A RX100 stereo camera would rock.

I've tried the GF2 + 3D lens. Not much better. So... I do have 2 GF2s. Pop in a couple of these body cap lenses and mount them side by side and viola. A 3D camera with decent image quality. Make the mount foldable and it would even be reasonable travel cam.

It does baffle me that all these companies put it up for preorder at higher than the MSRP. I'm thinking they are just fronting for the same distributor and Olympus originally priced it at $60 but has since repriced it down.

Are there any reviews of this lens. Like the IQ. Most "reviews" I've seen have just been about how small it is.

MajorMagee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I had a chance to play with one for a few minutes today at the Dodd Camera tent sale. It was actually much better than I expected.

petronius

Mu-43 Regular
I received mine today from Amazon Germany.
Look and feel are good at first sight. The bayonet needs some force to fit to my G1, but I think that the plastic mount will get a little more loose in the next months.
The distance lever is moving easily, but not wobbly.
I hope to take some pics tomorrow.

Latest threads

Top Bottom