1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 15mm f/8.0 Body Cap Lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by beameup, Nov 10, 2013.

1. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    I was wondering if this lens might be considered as a sort of high-grade "Holga" or "pin-hole" type of lens.
    I was considering one for my OM-D E-M1 as I don't have any m4/3 lenses, nor do I plan on buying any.

2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    High(er)-grade. ;) Are you planning on using mostly legacy lenses? Why the bodycap lens? For not much more you can get far superior M4/3 lenses (14 2.5 comes to mind).

Seems like an interesting plan to pair the best body the system has with the worst lens the system offers...

3. boostin

boostin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    :eek:mg:

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Just curious, why buy a high end camera but not buy any lenses for it? :confused:

5. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    I've got half-dozen four thirds lenses. I really don't have any plans to buy any m4/3 lenses. I do have a "project" in mind for the $40 body cap lens. :dance4:

My E-M1 will arrive on Wednesday Nov. 13.

• Like Like x 1
  6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    It's better than the Holga and pinholes. Good fun with the art filters.

Gordon

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Then it's definitely better than a holga or pinhole lens. It's a little soft, but better than you might think. The 4/3 lenses make perfect sense with the E-M1. Have fun. :cool:

8. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    It's 40 bucks...if you think you have some sort of use for it and you can have a few hours of fun with it....buy it. :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    For forty bucks, unless you want it for the tiny size, I'd pick a legacy lens and adapter over the bcl. Remember all you have with that is f8.

10. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    Thanks. I have an OM 50mm f/1.8 with adapter and I have a Samyang 8mm fisheye 4/3, neither of which have an electronic connection.
    I suppose I could pick up a used 24mm OM cheaply. Considering how cheaply I can get the body cap lens, I'm sure I can find a "creative" use for it.
    There is a pinhole type baffle in the BCL, which once removed, brings it up to about f/4 (if you have the capability to work on the lens).

11. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    The BCL is just fun! No need to compare it with real lenses, new or old.

• Like Like x 2
  12. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    A 28mm is a handy adapted focal length, usually those are cheaper than the 24mm versions, albeit slower. I actually have a very clean OM 28mm f3.5 I have been thinking of selling. If I could determine it's better than my Konica Hexanon of the same specs I'd keep it, but the two are so darn close I think it's a wash.

13. theworstphotographer

theworstphotographer Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2011
    browse the sample images thread. that's what i did....and now i have one.

• Like Like x 2
  14. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    I just received the E-M1 and the Body Cap Lens yesterday. This is a very fun setup. It will be my "f/8 and be there" combo!

• Like Like x 1
  15. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Check my BCL magazine on Flipboard called "f8 and be there" I get the images from the BCL Flickr group. I really dog this lens. No need to be compared with other glass.

http://flip.it/3iChM

16. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    I was wondering if you could set the lens between the hyperfocal (Distant Focus) and the Close Focus setting (between the 1.5 meter and the .3 meter settings).

17. theworstphotographer

theworstphotographer Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2011
    yes you can

18. krixoff

krixoff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2013
    Perpinya
    The lens cap is a very good lens. Very experimental!

19. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    Thanks for starting this thread. Here's the link to the older BCL15 image sharing thread, last updated this past summer. Perhaps we can reactivate this older thread with new images!

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=46842

~Joe

20. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Sorry, meant to post these on the image thread for this lens. SuperMods, have been trying to delete, but have not had success.