1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 15mm BCL - f/2 mod!?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by MarkRyan, Dec 3, 2013.

1. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I found this page that shows the GM1 with various lenses mounted to it. The shot of the Oly BCL say "with f/2 mod."

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-gm1-lens-examples-23397

I did some searching, on this forum and Google, and couldn't find any other mention of such a mod. Anyone have intel on this? The BCL is a pretty rad toy, but at f/8 it's sadly not suited to indoor shooting. Opening it up to f/2 (or even f/4) would make it a lot more versatile but the idea seems too good to be true.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

3. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    From here:

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No pics of what or how but sounds interesting. I love my BCL! I leave it on the body when in the bag and often just use it rather than change lenses when those things happen that you just have to take a picture of. It works great in bright sunlight or with flash but sucks major in low light. An f2 version would be nice. It might also be possible to mod the "aperture disc" to an f4. This way you gain light but don't compromise the image quality as much.

5. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    There was a post on here I read not too long ago about someone making the BCL an f/4. If f/2 is really soft but f/8 requires such slow shutter speed, f/4 would be good. There's that guy on ebay that glues lenses into old body caps and I want to buy one that's relatively sharp and fast but I guess it'd be hit or miss

6. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    I love my 15BCL, but I'm still interested in making it an f4.

Any more updates? Anyone buy one from the guy on ebay who glues lenses into body caps? Anyone try modding a BCL; or making their own?

This guy has made his into a macro lens which seems like a great addition to any bag!:

• Like Like x 1
  7. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Do you have a link to the ebay guy?

8. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I made the macro modification on one of my BCLs... It gets real close...Here are some samples..

12466817105_26f1bdbbaa_b_d.

12338371544_0cc55f58fb_b_d.

Works best for me in B&W...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
  10. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Here is an image taken with the BCL with the F/2 mod (IMO the image is too soft, and more of a "fun" thing to do):

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    ^the BCL renders toy like images after the f2 mod is performed... the thought of an F2 BCL was in fact to good to be true. I still want one though.

12. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Fascinating, I like these kind of hacks.

13. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    That looks horrible. That looks about on par with what I got out of my first cameraphone (over 10 years ago, 0.3 MP unit). Why anyone would want to use their $1,000 camera to take pictures like this is beyond me.

14. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    I'm curious what it'll look like at f/4 or f/5.6, it makes even the E-M5 "pocketable" for an semi-acceptable "I don't have my lens on, but I could really take this shot right now..." setup.

15. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I doubt it'll be any better than most phones made in the past 5 years. I got an iPhone 3GS for free from a friend and just use that for a "pocketable" alternative.

Heck, you can get used compacts (that are smaller than an OM-D with the BCL) for the price of the BCL all day long and get better pictures and at least have zoom and better IQ.

16. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    He mysteriously disappeared from my watch list. I messaged him before but I don't remember when and I'm on ebay so much it would take forever to find. I'm going to look when I get home.

I know, that's what I want to see too. F4 would be 2 stops and f5.6 would be 1 stop. F8.0 ISO3200 is fun but ISO800 would be a lot more fun!

And to you other guys acting as our fathers and telling us what kind of boys we should like, the boy we like is a 15mm body cap lens. And we're here to "fix" him and make him a better performer!

17. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    When I say "pocketable" I mean it in a different sense from the people dropping a Canon ELPH into their tight fitting pants rear pocket and then sitting on that. I'm notorious for being one of the few(or only?) people that mounts a Sigma 18-35 f/1.4A on my E-M5 as a walk around lens. Having the E-M5 conveniently ready at any time with acceptable shutter speeds and decent sharpness is better than trying to fiddle with a smartphone to have less than ideal controls or to dump a few hundred on an advanced compact that is either large (G1X II) or costly (RX100 II), not to say that they're bad but an existing solution is already here.

So having a f/4 BCL with "a little less" sharpness towards the corners and edges would be beneficial. I mean, after all it is "just an expensive body cap." I don't expect it to perform like my Sigma 18-35 f/1.4A on a Speedbooster stopped down to f/5.6, or remotely anything close.

18. dccase

dccase Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    Massachusetts, USA
    I don't think I'd want it to be faster. I like the flare and starbursts you get when you point it into the sun.
    The magic happens when you do everything wrong. It's all about being in the moment.

P4210197.

But that macro mod, on the other hand...

• Like Like x 1
  19. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    We're going to have to agree to disagree here. You brought up two of the most revered and most expensive compacts as examples, which isn't really a fair comparison. With what has been posted on this thread, I fail to see how an average smartphone or a $50 used compact couldn't provide the same results (or far better). We're not talking about "a little loss of sharpness in the corners" look at that photo that was posted of the house/yard. It looks like it was taken with an onion.

20. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I'm usually a fan of the 'soft' look but the samples provided look pretty unusable to me.

• Like Like x 2