Showcase Olympus 150mm f/2 SHG ZD

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
I find the manual focusing to be perfectly acceptable. However, it won't change focus while recording.

The adapter feels ever so slightly loose on my GH5.

Dismounting the lens can be somewhat difficult, any advice to easily and safely remove it?

Sounds like there's something wrong somewhere — manual focus should work fine when recording on the GH5. It does on my GH5S, and I'm not aware of there being any published difference in that regard between those two bodies.

Which adapter did you end up getting?

OlympMick

Mu-43 Regular
View attachment 615586

A still I grabbed from my first video using this lens. 120fps / 180 degree shutter / f2.

I find the manual focusing to be perfectly acceptable. However, it won't change focus while recording.

The adapter feels ever so slightly loose on my GH5.

Dismounting the lens can be somewhat difficult, any advice to easily and safely remove it?

Which adapter are you using ?

I recommend attaching the adapter to the lens and then instead of holding the camera and attaching the lens, do the opposite, i.e. hold the lens and attach the camera to it. To remove, simply reverse the procedure.

Welcome to the Little Tuna Club !! :drinks:

OlympMick

Mu-43 Regular
Duck-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

You can't really tell from this compressed image, but the 150/2 captured a lot of feather detail on this duck. (ISO 200, F2.8, 1/1250)

White-Faced Heron-6.jpg

White-Faced Heron (ISO 200, F2.5, 1/125)

Buff-Banded Rail.jpg

This Buff-Banded Rail caught me by surprise. If I had more time I would have stopped down to get more DoF. (ISO 200, F2.5, 1/80)

Black Swan-5.jpg

Black Swan (ISO 200, F2, 1/160)

Peacock.jpg

Peacock (ISO 200, F2.5, 1/100)

Magpie Goose-2.jpg

Magpie Goose (ISO 64, F2.8, 1/160).

All taken handheld with Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II.

Cheers,
Mick.

Attachments

• Bush-Stone Curlew.jpg
    Bush-Stone Curlew.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 143

Xx123456xX

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jake
Sounds like there's something wrong somewhere — manual focus should work fine when recording on the GH5. It does on my GH5S, and I'm not aware of there being any published difference in that regard between those two bodies.

Which adapter did you end up getting?

I got the Olympus MMF-3. I've read that being slightly loose is a common problem with this adapter. Perhaps that slight looseness is enough to cause an electronic miscommunication.

And to clarify, this issue happens while recording in VFR. For some lenses the GH5 disables IS while recording in VFR, so maybe there's a similar bug that disables manual focus for some lenses.

Last edited:

Xx123456xX

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jake
Which adapter are you using ?

I recommend attaching the adapter to the lens and then instead of holding the camera and attaching the lens, do the opposite, i.e. hold the lens and attach the camera to it. To remove, simply reverse the procedure.

Welcome to the Little Tuna Club !! :drinks:

Thanks!
Attaching the two doesn't worry me at all. I've found that softly pressing the camera against my body helps a lot when disconnecting.

Xx123456xX

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jake
I got the Olympus MMF-3. I've read that being slightly loose is a common problem with this adapter. Perhaps that slight looseness is enough to cause an electronic miscommunication.

And to clarify, this issue happens while recording in VFR. For some lenses the GH5 disables IS while recording in VFR, so maybe there's a similar bug that disables manual focus for some lenses.

I've found that such a bug exists (at least on the 150 f2 / MMF-3 / GH5 combo). I disabled VFR and was able to manually focus while recording. I then turned on VFR. Manual focusing worked while not recording, but, as soon as I pressed record, it stopped working. I stopped recording and was able to manually focus again.

EDIT: I've created a new thread for this issue, so I deleted all subsequent posts relating to this issue in this thread.

GH5 no manual focus during VFR with Oly 150 f2/MMF-3.

Last edited:

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I've found that such a bug exists (at least on the 150 f2 / MMF-3 / GH5 combo). I disabled VFR and was able to manually focus while recording. I then turned on VFR. Manual focusing worked while not recording, but, as soon as I pressed record, it stopped working. I stopped recording and was able to manually focus again.
It's not a bug, that's how VFR works. You can't adjust the focus once recording (just like how you don't capture any audio while recording in VFR).

Underwater

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Paul
I don't do a lot with CAF, so I played around with it today using my 7-month old lab as a model. Pretty much nailed focus on her cute little head with this one:
_2177897.jpg

...not quite perfectly in focus, but I love the composition (totally timed it this good on purpose)
_2177927.jpg

...and this one is just for fun. Anne isn't so big on actually swimming, probably because she isn't super talented at floating just yet...
_2177977.jpg

Xx123456xX

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jake
B3E24B66-339D-4B50-A064-98ED1407AE59.jpeg
956EF0C5-7820-4C41-8C0D-B2A1A862DA5A.jpeg
C43E23EC-37D1-474F-842A-52697B002A7A.jpeg
5C1A6AF8-1752-4734-AF40-B776D622B9A1.jpeg
Some stills I grabbed from this lens’ first real excursion. Taken at the San Bernard National Wildlife Refuge.

There's a small crescent shaped artifact in the lower left corner, which I first noticed in the duck clip. It's not very obvious in these individual frames, but during video it's quite obvious. Could this be solved by cleaning the exterior of the front and/or rear elements, or is this caused by a scratch or internal defect? I really like this lens and don't want to return it, but if this issue is unfixable I might have no choice.

EDIT: It’s a camera issue, the crescent appears with my Sigma lens, too. It appears to be caused by a piece of lint.

Last edited:

Underwater

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Paul
A few from today. I first went out looking for birds; not much was going on other than these mallards sleeping in on a Sunday morning (taken with the 1.4 teleconverter).
_3048135.jpg

Met up later with friends and family and took a walk to another pond for more C-AF practice. As I now have plenty of similar shots of my pup, I focused more on my brother's dog Cannoli, which is actually the half brother to mine. As long as I did my part, the camera did a pretty good job of locking on to what I wanted- these are all with the M1 mkI. Those ears, tho...
_3048227.jpg

...detail shot of Cannoli
_3048210.jpg

OlympMick

Mu-43 Regular
Cross post from Share Birds picture thread.

Glossy Ibis.jpg

Glossy Ibis (ISO 640; F2.2; 1/160)

Princess Parrot-2.jpg

Princess Parrot (ISO 200; F2; 1/200)

Torresian Crow.jpg

Torresian Crow (ISO 1600; F2; 1/200)

Cheers,
Mick

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
A few from today. I first went out looking for birds; not much was going on other than these mallards sleeping in on a Sunday morning (taken with the 1.4 teleconverter).
View attachment 621060
Met up later with friends and family and took a walk to another pond for more C-AF practice. As I now have plenty of similar shots of my pup, I focused more on my brother's dog Cannoli, which is actually the half brother to mine. As long as I did my part, the camera did a pretty good job of locking on to what I wanted- these are all with the M1 mkI. Those ears, tho...
View attachment 621062
View attachment 621061
Nice, sharp shots Paul, but they are severely underexposed. You may want to add some positive EC either in-camera, or in post.

Underwater

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Paul
Thanks- they looked fine on my laptop but a little dark on my phone. Guess that tells me where the problem is, especially since my first steps in post were to bring down the exposures...

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
A few faces from this year's Chinese New Year parade in Manhattan's Chinatown. There was a light drizzle falling most of the time and the sky was heavily overcast, but the bright colours of the costumes and flags and the speed of the lens helped make up for it. All images were shot at f/2 with C-AF on the E-M1 mk II.

1/640, ISO400
39791029275_a594283c56_h.jpg
Captain Eng by Alex G, on Flickr

1/640, ISO160
38875759760_0b1ba2c729_h.jpg
Dragon Head Boy by Alex G, on Flickr

1/640, ISO400
38875715780_d89c128b0d_h.jpg
Woman With Sash by Alex G, on Flickr

1/640, ISO320
40644004032_160713352c_h.jpg
Serious Girl 1 by Alex G, on Flickr

1/400, ISO160
26814699248_42063ebcc4_h.jpg
Three Beauty Queens by Alex G, on Flickr

1/400, ISO500
39975893374_cc3d700829_h.jpg
Selfie Woman by Alex G, on Flickr

1/400, ISO320
25814752527_6b0795b7a4_h.jpg
Banner Boy by Alex G, on Flickr

ddekadt

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
View attachment 621060
View attachment 621062
View attachment 621061

Am I crazy or do these look a few stops under-exposed?

Underwater

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Paul
You may or may not be crazy, but chances are they look underexposed to everyone but me. I do my post processing on an old non-HD laptop that's on it's last legs; Ian pointed out the underexposures from the last batch so I'm now double checking my work with my phone. How's this one from today?
_3118505.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom