Olympus 150mm f/2 ED Lens Strap Tips?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by MAubrey, Jan 25, 2016.

1. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I have two big telephotos. One is a MF Nikon 200mm f/2 AI-S. The other is the Olympus 150mm f/2. Lenses that are this big havetheir own tripod mounts in order to avoid strain on the lens mount when tripod mounted.

But my Nikon also has build-in connectors for putting a strap on the lens itself so that when I have it with me, it can hang over my shoulder.

ccs-1544-0-52692500-1389860359_thumb.

That, one, makes my arms happy and, two, puts the weight on the camera/lens combo on the tripod ring rather than on, again, the lens mount. It turns an otherwise miserable lens to take on a walk with you into something no worse than carrying a laptop messenger bag around.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something even remotely similar for the Olympus?

The Olympus 150mm f/2 weights 1kg less, but is actually more frustrating to carry because of the lack of anywhere to attach a strap on the lens!

2. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I use a Black Rapid strap which attached to the tripod thread. So you can attach it to the foot on your lens. If you use an Arca plate on your lens foot, simply add a simple clamp to your strap and clamp it onto the plate.

3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    If I use a strap at all I use a Black Rapid like @bassman@bassman. But I hardly ever use a strap, I mostly carry the camera/lens around by the tripod foot. To me, straps just get in the way, especially when trying to crawl closer to an alligator. The only time I use my Black Rapid is when I am shooting sports or the airshow, mostly because I have a 2nd camera with a different focal length with me (I have the Black Rapid strap designed to carry two cameras or can convert to carry one).

4. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I also use Black Rapid plus quick release clamp when I'm not crawling around alligators.

5. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Then you get eaten by a gator because that lose strap got caught on a stick when you were trying to get away quickly :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Thanks, guys. I'll take a look at Black Rapid.

@Phocal@Phocal, if I'm shooting an event, I also do what you do. But a lot of the time, I like to just take a long lens out on a walk with my wife and then simply carrying it in hand isn't great. Then a strap would be nice. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!

7. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    The Black Rapid is a great system and should be what you are looking for. You can also use it like hunters use a sling to wrap around their arm and get a steadier shot.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    On my 40-150 f2.8 I keep a Peak Design Arca plate attached to the tripod foot. This also has an Anchor attached to it. When I need to carry the camera and lens, I use a Slide attached to the tripod foot, and an Arca plate w/ Anchor attached to the camera tripod mount. I have never seen a 150 f/2, so I'm not sure how the 2 compare in size.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    The 150mm f/2 is 1cm shorter and 2cm fatter. It looks kind of silly, but it's great.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I use an OpTech Lens Loop clipped to an OpTech Utility Sling (like a Black Rapid) with the 50-200 SWD on my EM1. Takes the strain off the camera strap lugs and distributes it around the lens mount. Off my neck too. Hangs next to my side a lot better than if I attached a strap to the tripod foot, and stays out of the way when I'm using the camera. I can use it even if I take off the tripod foot. Found this when I was looking for a way to carry a big lens safely. OP/TECH USA Lens Loops System Connector

• Like Like x 2
  11. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    One mans silly is anothers fantastic :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey