Olympus 150-400 f4.5 IS Pro coming real soon now?

Real Name
Walter
Except 'the helicoils' is only moving internal zoom group(s) for this lens (also for the 40-150mm f2.8 Pro zoom lens). Olympus is showing that in 'their' own bag. Everybody with a backpack or holster camera bag has them vertical.

I think we have to make the distinction between carrying and storing. It'd be difficult to carry the 150-400 horizontally because it's quite long. Most likely it would be vertical in a bag or backpack. However, storing it horizontally between uses might be a good idea. I store all my long lenses horizontally in my dry cabinet simply because they won't fit vertically anyway. :)

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
True, but the internal pieces that move the mass has more thrust against the stationary barrels when put down hard in a vertical position. The threads holding the rollers may only have 2-3 small threads into the thin barrels and why the rollers come out, and maybe too easily, and bind the assemblies up. Nikon repair guy has seen too much of lens abuse and I'll take his word for it.

Roger Cicala of Lensrentals has some blog where he takes a new Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 Z-mount zoom apart. You can see the rollers of the internal group. Plus, he points out the new assemblies Nikon puts small tape over the insides where the rollers screws are. The tape is to prevent the Locktite from chipping off the screws and getting on the elements. Never knew that was a problem, but explains why some see small crystals in their lenses. More of that is explained halfway down in his blog here: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2020/01/finally-the-nikon-z-24-70mm-f2-8-s-lens-teardown/

The zoom lens I took into Nikon Service was new and only 3 hours out of the store. It would not focus to infinity for some reason (Found out a shim wasn't present later on.). The service guy's first test was twisting the zoom and focus barrels to see if they are binding and I also got the speech about vertical storage is bad. One girl there said to take it back to dealer for an exchange, but it was the last they had so it had to get fixed. It's been fine since too.

Last edited:

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
I think we have to make the distinction between carrying and storing. It'd be difficult to carry the 150-400 horizontally because it's quite long. Most likely it would be vertical in a bag or backpack. However, storing it horizontally between uses might be a good idea. I store all my long lenses horizontally in my dry cabinet simply because they won't fit vertically anyway. :)
Yes, I store my 40-150 Pro horizontally (with MC20), on the camera to be ready for birds in the backyard, but I think the 100-400 will take its place for that shortly. I won't have to think about this 150-400 Pro lens though. It is beyond my justifiable spending. :)

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
There's at least two makers of super telephoto travel hoods. They're popular due to folding flat and because manufacturers hoods are renowned for breaking in the professional environment. They wrap around the lens and secure with Velcro.

The lens hood (actually, a dew shield) on my f/7 560mm lens (80mm refractor telescope with T mount) is a couple of feet of sewer pipe. I made it to slide back over the OTA for stowage.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
The lens hood (actually, a dew shield) on my f/7 560mm lens (80mm refractor telescope with T mount) is a couple of feet of sewer pipe. I made it to slide back over the OTA for stowage.
Extended:

_3201559_E_Web_SH.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Retracted:

_3201560_E_Web_SH.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I use a 100mm sewer pipe cap as a lens cap.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Good one, Ross ;) .

My telescope was made by a friend who is an optical technician. The objective is one of a pair that came from tourist binoculars at (?) Mt Dandenong.

Hoya doublet, with adjustment screws at the back of the lens cell to allow astigmatism adjustment. Performs about as well as a similar Televue refractor, so pretty decent.

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
A long video, but a good one. I enjoy his reviews. I am surprised though to see his keeper rate of sharp images was worse with bird AF turned on than when left off. That’s unfortunate.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
A long video, but a good one. I enjoy his reviews. I am surprised though to see his keeper rate of sharp images was worse with bird AF turned on than when left off. That’s unfortunate.
Yeah, it’s extremely disappointing. I do trust Mathieu’s reviews, but it is interesting that others have suggested better results. I still haven’t downloaded the firmware, nor have any opportunity to do any birding to test myself, but I was hoping for some sort of improvement. I do think that there could be a difference in familiarity and success rate between reviewers who solely use one system versus those who use and test many. But even then, I would think that the bird AF would have been more of a help, unless he was somehow fighting the process – which is something I have heard other photographers discuss when advising people on how to use Olympus bird AF.

In the comments, Mathieu mused that maybe Olympus needs a new sensor in order to improve AF further. I suppose that’s possible. It is the oldest thing in the E-M1X, and could be what’s holding it back. There are times when I get 100% hit rate with normal AF, so it could be the conditions and how the sensor is able to resolve them.

On more positive notes…

His findings on the highlight and shadow recovery, even with the R5, were very interesting. I’m sure a lot of full frame fans would not have anticipated that!

One thing that Mathieu didn’t mention in his comparison, but that I think must be discussed when talking about Olympus Bird photography, is Pro Capture. I think it is a extremely heavy advantage for Olympus that definitely distinguishes the system and its viability as a choice for wildlife photographers. It’s really that, coupled with the flexibility and image quality of a extremely sharp and bright zoom, and it’s portability (which he did laude) that I think really is this combinations strength.

Latest threads

Top Bottom