Olympus 150-400 f4.5 IS Pro coming real soon now?

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
That's a lot of mass in one bag. It's not even my gear and I'm already worried about that getting dropped.
Forget the mass, that’s a lot of £/$/€ in one bag. Around £/$/€20,000 by my reckoning. Even more if they could have found space for the 40-150 PRO lens hood.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
It looks kind of like one of the Olympus branded bags with the lens mount piece.
It is. Olympus CBG-12. I have that bag and love it. I was wondering if the new lens would fit — in it and a few others I might carry it in.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Considering that the PL100-400mm is about the same weight as the Oly 150-400mm, surely Panasonic can do better than their existing lens.
The new Olympus 150-400 seems to weigh twice as much as the Panasonic 100-400. 1875gms compared to 985gms. We are dealing with facts now, not suppositions.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Now we all know that weight is important, however if the balance is good, well that does make a difference.
then we have size. Not just in the hand, discounting lens hoods. So the new Olympus measures 314 X 115.8mm dia. The Panasonic 100-400 measures 171.5 X 83mm dia. I personally am glad that both Panosonic and Olympus are releasing new products. Some are good value, some are small. We can buy what we want, when they are available, then to use and enjoy.

Phocal

God
he D500 also shoots at 10FPS mechanical shutter only. With 1 card being a XQD and the other UHS-II, it is simply amazing in the buffer and writing speed. Shooting full size raws you can get 200 shots without ANY slowdown, then wait about 2 seconds and get another 200 more shots (not that I would ever do this). Needless to say I have never experienced any slowdown in buffer or writing with my D500.

Actually the EM1's a bit better in buffer size but a little worse in write speed. I really wish these guys had tested the EM1X and mk3 - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards

The D500 will reach 231 RAW photos in a 30 second burst and has an average write speed of 291.1 MB/s. The EM1mk2 will do 319 photos in 30 second burst with a 163.4 MB/s write speed.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
As to the case above with the 150-400mm f/4.5 lens stored vertically, I'll pass along some info I got from Los Angeles Nikon Service while in there for a lens issue. Fwiw, their manager seems to love working on lenses over the NYC Service Center that prefers bodies to work on.

The guy said not to store the zoom lenses vertically as the weight of the internals pushed against the rollers that are in the slots in the helicals. In time, they'd come loose and the things begin to bind up while zooming. When they would come loose, the threads in the helicals were often stripped and a costly barrel assembly replacement was needed. He said it's better to store them horizontally and as why some of their large Nikon hard cases for their huge lenses stored them that way.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
As to the case above with the 150-400mm f/4.5 lens stored vertically, I'll pass along some info I got from Los Angeles Nikon Service while in there for a lens issue. Fwiw, their manager seems to love working on lenses over the NYC Service Center that prefers bodies to work on.

The guy said not to store the zoom lenses vertically as the weight of the internals pushed against the rollers that are in the slots in the helicals. In time, they'd come loose and the things begin to bind up while zooming. When they would come loose, the threads in the helicals were often stripped and a costly barrel assembly replacement was needed. He said it's better to store them horizontally and as why some of their large Nikon hard cases for their huge lenses stored them that way.

This makes a lot of sense, especially for heavy lenses.

I'm always on the lookout for a good wine rack that will hold lenses.
The jokes comparing wine to good glass practically write themselves.

As for the bag, a good marketing strategy is to not showcase products that compete with yours. I was surprised, a few years back, to see an Olympus visionary using a rubber lens hood on an Olympus lens.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Do you think it's going to take up that much extra space when stored reveresed? Also, seems like all the 95mm collapsible hoods I can see are too short to be useful for such a long effective focal length.

There's at least two makers of super telephoto travel hoods. They're popular due to folding flat and because manufacturers hoods are renowned for breaking in the professional environment. They wrap around the lens and secure with Velcro.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross

Except 'the helicoils' is only moving internal zoom group(s) for this lens (also for the 40-150mm f2.8 Pro zoom lens). Olympus is showing that in 'their' own bag. Everybody with a backpack or holster camera bag has them vertical.

Latest threads

Top Bottom