Olympus 150-400 f4.5 IS Pro coming real soon now?

moonhawk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dave Cherry
I wish I could keep every camera and lens I ever bought, but it's just not practical. I only need one long lens, and it might as well be the best, assuming the 150- 400 lives up to expectations. Most of my use for it won't involve long hikes. Here in coastal SC I shoot from my beach bike, which is set up to carry my gear. Or I shoot from a kayak, where better weather sealing and wider apertures are useful.

The Nikon stuff rarely gets used, but I'll keep the shorter lenses and specialty lenses for landscape and close-ups with the Z7. For hiking/travel, it's the M1III with the 12-100Pro, the finest one body-one lens kit I've ever used.

But the M1X with the 150-400 will be my go-to for big shore birds and the like. I am eager to check it out.

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
It's actually kinda compact compared to 300mm F4. From 150mm all the way to 400mm, only 1/3 stop slower aperture, but it's only like 20% larger? If the quality matches the 300mm F4, then 20% larger isn't that bad at all.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
I thought m43 lenses were supposed to be quite compact.
It is — extremely so, and extremely lightweight and reasonably priced, for all that it brings to the table. No other super-telephoto zoom in the world has this combination of portability, durability, range, light gathering, image quality, and performance — even lenses that are twice as expensive and over twice as heavy. This is every wildlife photographer’s dream lens, which is why it is garnering so much attention.

Its lenses like this that best showcase the strength of the m4/3 system. I don’t think we could have asked for a better scenario to keep the Olympus ecosystem alive as JIP takes over. Even if they weren’t planning to follow through on their words before, they should now see the potential that the brand has.

ColoPhotoGirl

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Lonnie
Anybody that thinks the hood might be a failure, I doubt they have looked at the design or material it is made from. It should take a decent knocking & stand up to a hard life.
I do not think the hood would fail. I want and plan to buy a compact foldable hood for traveling. I have a trip planned for Antarctica and Patagonia which has weight and size restrictions. The hood would take too much room.

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I do not think the hood would fail. I want and plan to buy a compact foldable hood for traveling. I have a trip planned for Antarctica and Patagonia which has weight and size restrictions. The hood would take too much room.

Do you think it's going to take up that much extra space when stored reveresed? Also, seems like all the 95mm collapsible hoods I can see are too short to be useful for such a long effective focal length.

Last edited:

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
Well, at least we now know why there is a metal nameplate on the camera.
It's going to be strange to see the lens w/o the Olympus name. I wonder how warranty work will be handled.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Well, in comparison to a 300-800 f4.5 lens (eFOV) for a 35mm frame camera, I guess you could say it is compact, if you could even find such a lens to compare it to. :)
Well a comparison to both the Olympus and Panasonic 100-400 lenses are possible. Granted there is a built in TC with the latest Olympus. The 100-400 Olympus can take external TC’s, not the Panasonic. Then there is the price.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
Well a comparison to both the Olympus and Panasonic 100-400 lenses are possible. Granted there is a built in TC with the latest Olympus. The 100-400 Olympus can take external TC’s, not the Panasonic. Then there is the price.

You do realize this is also constant f/4.5 which affects size? This lens will very very likely be much sharper.

First you complain about the lens hood, now you complain that it is not compact enough.

Real Name
Walter

I think in comparison to the PL100-400 and the Oly 100-400, the 150-400 f4.5 1.25x TC IS Pro will just blow them away with its IQ and its reach. If that is paramount to someone, they would pay the price.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
Do you think it's going to take up that much extra space when stored reveresed? Also, seems like all the 95mm collapsible hoods I can see are too short to be useful for such a long effective focal length.
Here it is in the bag.
1606258481139.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Considering that the PL100-400mm is about the same weight as the Oly 150-400mm, surely Panasonic can do better than their existing lens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom