Olympus 150-400 f4.5 IS Pro coming real soon now?

c12402

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Juan Guerrero
According to some Olympus staff, I would expect something in the range of 5-7.000€

Anyone who thinks this lens will be south of 8k is pretty delusional
The Nikon Noct 58/1.8 is US$8k.
That's "halo" pricing. Seems to work. Nikon cannot make enough of them.
But JIP Olympus may need to get this item into more hands across the board to make the "high end" metric they market worthwhile.
The very low sales of the brand doesn't allow for shelf queen lenses.
This lens needs to be the supreme, high quality yet affordable super-zoom by a brand that needs a hit product.
If they overprice it, it will add increased negative spin to m43.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
The Nikon Noct 58/1.8 is US$8k.
That's "halo" pricing. Seems to work. Nikon cannot make enough of them.
But JIP Olympus may need to get this item into more hands across the board to make the "high end" metric they market worthwhile.
The very low sales of the brand doesn't allow for shelf queen lenses.
This lens needs to be the supreme, high quality yet affordable super-zoom by a brand that needs a hit product.
If they overprice it, it will add increased negative spin to m43.
Correction, the Nikon Noct is an f/0.95 lens and not a f/1.8. Their new 50mm f/1.4 is about $597, much less than the Olympus 45mm f/1.2 Pro.

But yeah, is odd even B&H cannot keep the Noct in stock for a paltry $8K. :eek-31:

Got a feeling Nikon is dropping their newest body prices and will raise the lens prices. Might be a "Suck them in play" on their part given the Nikon Z II series is selling maybe 10% less than older series on intro.

LOL autocorrect turn 0.95 to 1.8.
Correction, the Nikon Noct is an f/0.95 lens and not a f/1.8. Their new 50mm f/1.4 is about $597, much less than the Olympus 45mm f/1.2 Pro.

But yeah, is odd even B&H cannot keep the Noct in stock for a paltry $8K. :eek-31:

Got a feeling Nikon is dropping their newest body prices and will raise the lens prices. Might be a "Suck them in play" on their part given the Nikon Z II series is selling maybe 10% less than older series on intro.
LOL autocorrect 0.95 to1.8.

Olympus jumped the credibility shark with the size/price of the 1.2s. They make the case for FF more than m43.

If JIP Olympus price the 150-400/4.5 Pro to turn heads....that’s what’s needed, but in a good way, not the 1.2 mocked ceaselessly way.

If they price it as an esoteric, boutique lens as opposed to a workhorse mainstay of a wildlife photography system, they have a chance. A HUGE amount of m43 survival rests on this lens and the telephoto advantages of m43. That lens has to sell to sell the system. This lens may not make revenues jump, but it needs to halt the decline and get eyeballs on the format compared to lenses like the upcoming Canon long RF primes and the Nikon’s and Sony’s, too.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
A HUGE amount of m43 survival rests on this lens and the telephoto advantages of m43. That lens has to sell to sell the system.
No, it really doesn't. I bet 80% of system camera owners don't even own a lens that goes to 600mm equiv FoV and of those, the vast majority will have a consumer grade lens like the Panasonic 100-300. Even if this lens comes in at an incredibly cheap 3000€/$ it will maybe be bought by a few hundred people (not thousand!). Nothing that will even make a dent in camera body sales numbers.

Remember that many people actually never buy a lens. They buy a double lens kit and that's it! They are also not really invested in a system. If another camera comes around and they want something new they just buy another double lens kit.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I have no estimate of the price, but I do kind of wonder if Olympus expects to sell many. I think they may not, so they might price it high for that reason alone. I think they expect to sell a lot of the 100-400 lens, and very few of this 150-400.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
I’ll probably buy this lens, unless it gets bad reviews (and I don’t think it will by anyone who gives it a fair shake — which unfortunately won’t be everyone). I still believe this lens has the potential to be really great, but no question it is going to very expensive.

Photon

Mu-43 Regular
I may be interested in the lens for the right price (though I doubt it will be priced low enough).

If they can sell it for $4,000 I think it would attract people to the system. However, I wonder if JIP will be interested in attracting new users or simply getting everything they can out of existing users (I hope it is the former).

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Maybe the introductory offer will be a free EM1X body.
You forgot to mention the free metal lens cap! :yahoo:

I mention this because I recently got an email deal announcement from Olympus that had as part of the incentive to buy the 17mm 1.8 "SAVE $100 + Free Metal Lens Cap ($41.99 value) " One can only wonder at the $ value of the metal cap for such a big lens like the 150-400. (All kidding aside, maybe a metal cap is already part of the standard deal on that lens. It really looks like a heavy-metal beast with an attitude to match!).

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Have you seen the price of real Olympus lens hoods? Whatever the material, they are not cheap things to buy, use and lose.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Remember that many people actually never buy a lens. They buy a double lens kit and that's it! They are also not really invested in a system. If another camera comes around and they want something new they just buy another double lens kit.
I own a pair of unused kit lenses. Swap for a 100-400 or 150-400mm lens.

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
I enter this conversation as a retired person living on my retirement and that little thing called social security. I am frugal even when buying things and usually buy used. My favorite lens right now is an old 4/3 lens with an adapter---a 50-200mm 2.8/3.5. I doubt if I will be buying the new 150-400 at any price. I have given some thought to waiting and buying the less expensive 100-400mm when it becomes more available used so when that new mega-expensive lens comes out, please sell yours here at a reasonable price. :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom