Olympus 150-400 f4.5 IS Pro coming real soon now?

doady

Mu-43 Regular
I'm not sports/wildlife or telephoto shooter (still learning to use the telephoto on my 12-100mm!), but I somehow I get the GAS feeling watching videos of this lens. Maybe it's seeing all those switches on the side, something really cool about that for some reason. Of course it is too expensive for me, but it probably would not be as interesting if it was a cheaper lens. I don't mind if camera companies make different products for different audiences. That's exactly what they should be doing, so I see no point complaining about it. It's not a lens that was made for my needs and maybe that's a good thing.

The only 500mm F4 Nikor I can find is over $10,000. With $1500 for a D500 makes you $4000 out before any teleconverters and it isn't a zoom and is larger and weighs 1kg+ more and will have significantly worse stabilization.

$6900 for the Canon F4 and $12,000 for the F2.8. You seem to be making arguments for the 150-400.
Well... I get by with my Sigma APO 300mm f4 Tele Macro in a Canon EF Mount that I bought for $150. It focuses slow, but takes photos on par with the Olympus 300mm f4. However, if folks here will buy the new 150-400 and enjoy it I can only say... thanks for helping keep Olympus alive.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Who knows, mabe Sigma has made this lens for Olympus too....
I'm not sure if these continuing rumours of Sigma making Olympus lenses are based on reality at all. Some part yes (like the 100-400mm or 75mm looks like their basic design), but why keep on about it?

Olympus does their own thing with the lenses, Sigma might help or produce some. Still they're Olympus lenses. Sigma & Olympus both make great lenses.

I see no sense in suggesting Sigma does Olympus lenses with no hard facts on the table. We have enough rumours in this world already imo.

So please tell me what makes you think this is a Sigma lens?

Last edited:

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Well... I get by with my Sigma APO 300mm f4 Tele Macro in a Canon EF Mount that I bought for $150. It focuses slow, but takes photos on par with the Olympus 300mm f4. However, if folks here will buy the new 150-400 and enjoy it I can only say... thanks for helping keep Olympus alive.
Who would have thought that old lenses where cheaper than newer and modern lenses..how strange ;)

For a Oly user that mainly shoot BIF or wildlife in general the Oly 300 lens i probably worth the extra money...weather seald, faster focus, pro capture, sync IS

Personally i actually think there are quite many m43 users that have waited on the 150-400 and will buy it.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Funny thing that you didn't even admit you were wrong about your suggestion. Just diverted the attention to what you get by with.

Well I get by with my 75-300mm very well. Could afford the 100-400mm, but I just wouldn't take it with me as it's too big & heavy for me.

I can help you that the best opponent I have heard against Olympus E-M1X & the 150-400mm f/4.5 is the Sony A9 series & 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 lens.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Funny thing that you didn't even admit you were wrong about your suggestion. Just diverted the attention to what you get by with.

Well I get by with my 75-300mm very well. Could afford the 100-400mm, but I just wouldn't take it with me as it's too big & heavy for me.
Just jealous can’t afford the 300/4 or the 150-400.

I can help you that the best opponent I have heard against Olympus E-M1X & the 150-400mm f/4.5 is the Sony A9 series & 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 lens.
As long as you don’t need weather sealing that is almost true. The IQ of the 200-600 is more on par with the 100-400 or xx-300 lenses. Not close to the 300/4 or other pro lenses.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I am more than happy for those who intend to get this lens in the immediate future. Put it this way, it's about the cost of a world cruise or a decent funeral.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Maybe nothing new to the table but worth a watch, his next video about the EM1x Bird Detection may be worth a look
[Below from the notes on the youtube video]
All of my photos in the video are made with the new "Bird Detection - Intelligent Subject Detection AF".
It works great and my next Video will be about this new feature of the E-M1X.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This is in Chinese, but you can jump to about 8 minute for multiple fantastic images taken with the lens.

Cheers
That crop of a bird after about 9:30~ seems too good to believe. Would not have thought that was possible.
Unless i totally missed what this was showing. I took it as implied that the bird was extracted from the circle in the first image

Edit;
Confirmed below by @Aristophanes two different lenses. Top image with 12-45 Pro bottom with the 150-400.
Thought I may have got that wrong, just seemed too good to be true.

Below with 12-45 Pro
full.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
to

Below with 150-400
crop.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Chris
Meh, the problem with this lens is the inability to fit a full sized marmot inside of the lens hood. Everyone knows you gotta spend big bucks for that

That crop of a bird after about 9:30~ seems too good to believe. Would not have thought that was possible.
Unless i totally missed what this was showing. I took it as implied that the bird was extracted from the circle in the first image

View attachment 859162

View attachment 859163
The top screen capture shows a shot at f/4 with the 12-45 Pro.
Looks like they switched lenses/cameras to take the actual bird photo...not a crop.
More of a demo as to what you can capture with the lens.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom