Olympus 150-400 f4.5 IS Pro coming real soon now?

The latest information from Olympus stated it was targeted for a "Winter 2020" release, with autumn pretty much over and crossing fingers Olympus/JIP stays true to their announcement, it should be just a couple of weeks from now on.

I myself am not waiting for the lens, I'm pretty sure it costs more than my whole kit. :laugh:

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I’ve been waiting patiently for this lens.
I’ll probably get two, just in case one breaks.

Real Name
Chris
I’m waiting for it. And I was going to be one of the 3 people on this site that bought it However, that was mostly entirely due to me having an Olympus employee discount, and a 300mm f4 I could sell to offset the price. My fear is JIP will shut off my login (and everyone else’s) before it either becomes available, or at least before I’m prepared to buy it. However, my guess is the 4-5k range.

Real Name
Chris
And let me clarify...just because I have access to the Olympus employee discount, does not mean I’m an Olympus employee. These discounts/logins are available to registered email addresses that get approved in a b2b fashion with other companies that sell Olympus gear (like mine). So my guess at 4-5k is simply that, a guess...I have no insider info here!

Dave Black

Mu-43 Regular
What was your guess? I wouldn't expect anything less than $3,999.
My guess is $10,000 USD plus or minus $3,000. So my price range is $7,000 -$1,300.
The Canon and Nikon lenses it is competing with cost in the $11,000 to $12,000 range.

I did buy the new 100-400/5.0-6.3 and have been enjoying it. I will most likely pre-order the upcoming 150-400/4.5 lens. I will keep both. The 100-400/5.0-6.3 is now part of my normal hike in nature kit along with the 12-100/f4.0 and couple of fast f1.2 prime lenses. I can hike all day with this kit. The 100-400/4.5 is going to be a big and heavy lens. Something that I will not want to be part of my all day hiking in nature kit. It will be great when going out to a special wildlife/birding location and only need a short walk.
It will be great to have so many excellent choices.
I expect that the 100-400/4.5 will be the type of lens that is made on a batch and the time between batches will be a long time. So if you want it best to pre-order. I am also guessing it will be announced on early December and will not be reaching pre-order buyers until late January.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Two possibilities.

High volume, economies of scale, low price, vs very high price, very low volume.

The former would make more sense if they want to continue to attract new customers for MFT bodies and existing pro-lenses - but it just depends on their capacity to manufacture the lenses.

I fear that if they go for the very high price, very low volume option, it will just get panned in the press as an expensive luxury add-on to a toy system, and the only people likely to buy one would be existing MFT users. In those circumstances, I could write the petapixel/DPReview and that Tony's script before they even launch it.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
Two possibilities.

High volume, economies of scale, low price, vs very high price, very low volume.

The former would make more sense if they want to continue to attract new customers for MFT bodies and existing pro-lenses - but it just depends on their capacity to manufacture the lenses.
Well, the R&D cost has been covered by Olympus already (the fixed cost). JIP/OM Digital solutions will pay "only" production+distribution cost that could indicate more "budget friendly" price. (Of course they need a decent volume to keep the cost at reasonable level.) $6500 price tag could be plausible than. And @Bushboy can buy two copies for himself.

turbodieselvw

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I didn’t want to waste the time scraping ice off my windshield this winter so I’ve sold the car. Now I’m ready to buy the 150-400 Pro lens

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My guess is $10,000 USD plus or minus $3,000. So my price range is $7,000 -$1,300.
The Canon and Nikon lenses it is competing with cost in the $11,000 to $12,000 range.

I did buy the new 100-400/5.0-6.3 and have been enjoying it. I will most likely pre-order the upcoming 150-400/4.5 lens. I will keep both. The 100-400/5.0-6.3 is now part of my normal hike in nature kit along with the 12-100/f4.0 and couple of fast f1.2 prime lenses. I can hike all day with this kit. The 100-400/4.5 is going to be a big and heavy lens. Something that I will not want to be part of my all day hiking in nature kit. It will be great when going out to a special wildlife/birding location and only need a short walk.
It will be great to have so many excellent choices.
I expect that the 100-400/4.5 will be the type of lens that is made on a batch and the time between batches will be a long time. So if you want it best to pre-order. I am also guessing it will be announced on early December and will not be reaching pre-order buyers until late January.
Methinks I guessed too low. But, if Olympus prices this at $6K and up, there will be few buyers. It will be a flagship lens, but only the admirals will buy it. The rest of we sailors and officers will not. And, Olympus will be unlikely to recoup their R&D and production costs. At this point, does Olympus really need this?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom