Olympus 14-54 mk II lens on u4/3 - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nandystam, Sep 11, 2011.

1. nandystam

nandystam Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi folks

I have an Oly 14-54 mk II lens I'd like to use on one of the new PENs.

Is the overall IQ superior enough to the Oly / Panasonic 14-42/45 kit lenses? I like the fact the 14-54 II is a bit faster, has better build quality and can also act as a semi-macro lens (1:2 magnification). I'd like to think the IQ is superior enough to the usual u4/3 kit lenses, but I could be wrong!

How does it handle on a PEN? I've read that the size and weight of the 14-54 II seems to match up pretty well.

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed before, but searching didn't seem to bring up any results.

Cheers

2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    The focusing speed of the 14-54 on any PEN camera would be much slower than when it is used on a 4/3 camera. Therefore, IMHO, the 14-54 would not be able to replace the 14-42 kit lenses as an everyday lens. However, I do believe the IQ is superior.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, the image quality is very much superior! The 14-54mm is a sound optical design, and a high-grade lens build. It's a very fine piece of glass, and was the kit lens for Olympus' first pro-grade DSLR. It shouldn't really be compared with kit lenses from a consumer-grade camera.

The Mark II version is CDAF optimized and will autofocus faster on a PEN camera than the original 14-54mm, but it will not autofocus as fast as a native Micro Four-Thirds lens. It is still a classic SLR lens made for a PDAF autofocus system.

But you never asked about Autofocus though, did you? If Image Quality and Lens Speed is what you're after, then the Zuiko 14-54mm will deliver! And it's an extremely compact lens for its specifications, which makes it a perfect physical pairing with a PEN camera.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nandystam

nandystam Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks for the reply!

I've seen a youtube vid of the E-P3 coupled with a 14-54 mk II and the autofocus speed seemed pretty good to me, so I'm not really bothered by that. Plus that was indoors, and I can't imagine it being any slower in daylight.

My gut feel is that even the 'pro' grade Panny 12-35 will cost a lot more than the 14-54 mk II + adapter. It's zoom range is obviously a lot shorter as well, and nobody knows if it'll be fixed aperture or not, etc. etc.

If it was possible I'd like to use it on an E-PL3 with Richard Franiec's grip, but I don't know if it'll cause any issues or not until the grip is out in the wild (I put a thread up about this the Oly camera forum). I'm still trying to work out which body would be best suited for it.

If anyone has pics of it mounted on a E-P3/PL3 i'd love to see it. The youtube vid doesn't show it very well :)

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
  6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I bought one of these two weeks ago and use it with a GH2. AF is about the same as the 4/3 PL 25mm 1.4. That is, slower than a native lens (but only a bit slower than the 20mm 1.7), but faster than most 4/3 lenses with an adaptor. It's about the same as an 85mm L lens on the Canon system. It jumps in and out a bit before locking on. But the AF is deadly accurate. So in conclusion, yes, it's slower but definitely usable as an AF lens, but not for action stuff. AF speed seems to be identical in most conditions to me. As an aside I found that the 12-35 f2 and 12-60 had virtually unusable AF on the GH2. I also have a 4/3 70-300, which also has slower AF. But that's more a result of the stupidly long focus throw than anything else.

Optically the 14-54II is better than any m4/3 zoom I've used including the Pen 14-42 and the Panny 14-140. I think it's as good as the 20mm Panny lens. It's already become a fixture on my GH2 and I'm using it as my main AF lens for shooting weddings (2 so far). I'm using it with a 7-14 and 45-200 Panny lenses as a three zoom kit with a 20 and 45 macro. The close focusing abilities are a real bonus. I'd buy a native version of this lens in a heartbeat. It really is a nearly ideal standard zoom for the format. But for now it's my go to lens in m4/3, even for my professional work.

Gordon

7. mxlin

mxlin Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2010
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Which adapter you use - Panasonic or Olympus? Would they make any difference?

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You have a choice of 3 adapters which retain all electronic reading and autofocus capabilties:

Panasonic DMW-MA1
    Olympus MMF-1
    Olympus MMF-2

The DMW-MA1 and MMF-1 differ only in color (Panasonic's is a gunmetal color and Olympus' is black), while the MMF-2 is a lighter aluminum build as well as being a different color (white).