Olympus 14-42mm reversed for macro work

Nordentro

Mu-43 Regular
Sugar spilled on a table

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

FOsteology

Mu-43 Rookie
I would have never guessed it was sugar. Very nice shot!

I'm interested in learning what you did to reverse the lens.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Count me in on wanting to know what you used to reverse the lens.

elpanda

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jacques
Thanks for the tip! I was wondering if I should buy a macro lens, I guess I'll save myself some money for the time being as this is working awesome! ;-)

Nordentro

Mu-43 Regular
Cheap macro adapter from Ebay (52mm) + inexpensive 40,5mm - 52mm step up ring, also from Ebay.

Picture taken at 14mm (wider lens = bigger magnification)
Iso 100
f10
8 sec.

It's also great fun with the Panacake (and easier to start with), just add a 46mm - 52mm step up ring

Thx for commenting :smile:

Nordentro

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for the tip! I was wondering if I should buy a macro lens, I guess I'll save myself some money for the time being as this is working awesome! ;-)
I may be an alternative macro lens, but not a replacement. You can't do much wrong for a 10 bucks investment anyway :rolleyes:

lfmerrell

Mu-43 Veteran
Dallas - Fort Worth metroplex, Texas, USA
Back in the old Canon AE-1 days I used an el cheapo worm screw clamp to hold two lenses face to fac for macro shots. The lens, prime and zoom, each had the same outside diameter. Another time two Cokin screw mounts were crazy glued together to make a lens to lens macro adapter, again in the AE-1's latest and greatest days

elpanda

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jacques
I may be an alternative macro lens, but not a replacement. You can't do much wrong for a 10 bucks investment anyway :rolleyes:
Well, I already dropped a grand in this great camera and lenses, if I can hold on on more spending for a little while longer then my checking account will thank me immensely ;-) It's not like I shoot a lot of macros anyway, but it's good to know that the possibility is there if needed :)

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Thanks for the link

I had a quick play with my Voigtlander 25mm and Nikon 50mm lenses reversed on my Nikon D90 and I was quite impressed. Now to do the same on MFT will be neat.

The one disadvantage of most of the native MFT lenses is the lack of aperture control which makes stopping down once revered very difficult and it is impracticable to as you should focus wide open and then stop down to the taking aperture.

flikmy

Mu-43 Regular
I thought that since the m43 lenses are focus by wire, its not going to be possible to change the focus when reversing the lenses?

Nordentro

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for the link

I had a quick play with my Voigtlander 25mm and Nikon 50mm lenses reversed on my Nikon D90 and I was quite impressed. Now to do the same on MFT will be neat.

The one disadvantage of most of the native MFT lenses is the lack of aperture control which makes stopping down once revered very difficult and it is impracticable to as you should focus wide open and then stop down to the taking aperture.
Yes, it's a challenge. You have to stop down and then reverse the lens. I use a powerful flashlight when focusing to see better what's going on if the light conditions are bad :smile:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom