Olympus 14-42mm kit lens vs Panasonics 14mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by prophet, Feb 8, 2015.

1. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    I shoot most of my shots at 14mm, so I am looking into a prime lens. I would like the Oly 12mm, but that's way out of my budget. I am wondering if the Panasonic 14mm would be a noticable improvement over the kit lens? Or any other affordable alternatives?

2. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    In my testing (14-45, 14-42, 14mm) the differences are negligible. Myself I would rather have the f-stop advantage than the OIS. And I have all three to choose from ...

Why I love my 14mm is that on my GF1 I have a slim camera that takes great quality images. Plus I can carry a GWC-1 and get 11mm too, for less than a 12mm in weight and money.

12mmvs14mm0.

I seldom use it on my GH-1 because then I seem to prefer the 14-45mm

3. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    I shoot with an E-PL7, so IS is of no concern to me. I am a bit surprised that there is no real improvement in IQ/sharpness with the 14mm.

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I have the E-M10. For me the real benefit of the 14 is size, about a stop, and closer focusing. It's my most often used lens.

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    If you have a soft-at-14 zoom then you'll probably see improvement with the 14 pancake,
    but really it's not there to offer improved optics, it's there to be small.

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    My P14 is a little better than my 14-42 at the edges, but I would have to zoom to 2:1X in lightroom to see it. The virtue of the P14 is that it's a pancake, and this is greatly appreciated on a small camera like the EPM1. When I get to the size of the EM5, the smaller size doesn't matter. I'd sooner put the 9-18 zoom on it.

7. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    If I wanted to have better IQ at <=14mm, what other options are there that are affordable?

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Options for better sharpness at 14 mm : both "Pro" zooms : Lumix 12-35F2.8, Olympus 12-40F2.8,
    or a good sharp example of Lumix 14-45 or Lumix 14-42MkII, which are cheap but you need to test to see if your own 14-42 is much worse.
    Some olympus 14-42 kit zooms are very good so you really need to be sure you can improve on what you're already getting.

Honestly all my kit zooms have been rather sharp at 14mm ... Olympus or Lumix both.

9. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    My Oly 14-42mm is pretty sharp with good contrast, and sometimes the extra reach it has over the 14mm f2.5 is very welcome. Other times, the size advantage and slightly wider aperture would make the Panasonic the better option, it all depends on the situation. One thing I've noticed with the Oly is that on occasion, it seems to have more perspective distortion than the Panasonic prime. Since this is meant to be corrected by camera software it could all be in my mind. I only ever use the Olympus kit lens on my EPM1, but the 14mm prime gets swapped between both bodies, so maybe its a difference in software between the 2 brands.

I do find the zoom lock on the Oly a bit annoying too.

Edit: Ignore my comments re distortion, it seems to be camera specific not lens specific :eek:

10. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    firstly I think your expectations are based on non-reality ... you won't SEE anything better in even mural prints with other lenses. The 14mm is a true sweet spot of practical / light / convenient / fast.

Learn to use it and you'll be rewarded.

Nobody who looks at this print:
    11305149385_da987240da_c.

says "oh, look, at 200% I reckon I can see the difference a Zeiss would make"