Olympus 14-42 II R (or whatever the heck that new lens is called) vs. Panasonic 14-42

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Luke, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm considering buying the E-P3 and saw that the kit with 17mm is being sold for $100 less on eBay from a reputable dealer. I already have the Panasonic 14-42 (or is it the 14-45.....it's the one with the plastic mount). And in general, I prefer primes. But I was planning on getting the kit zoom since I also have the Panasonic 20mm that I love, so felt the Oly 17mm was redundant. But this small savings has my considering getting the 17mm.

So the question is does anyone have any experience to compare the new Oly kit zoom vs the Panasonic kit zoom? I assume resolution should be about a wash, but was most interested in the speed factor since that it one of the biggest selling points of the E-P3. Is it noticeable? Is it worth the extra $100?
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Oly kit zoom is a lot more compact. To pair it with your 20mm pancake, that might be an important factor.
  3. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    You most likely won't notice a speed difference between them. The Oly is more compact and possibly slightly sharper (more in line with the metal mount 14-45 which is optically better than the panny 14-42). The Panasonic has built in IS however which might be important to you if you plan on doing video. If not, the Olympus 14-42mm II R should fit the bill.
  4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It's not even worth worrying about the slight differences between the various kit lenses. All the 14-42 lenses are functionally identical in image quality. If you already have a 14-42, don't consider wasting your money on, at best, a near lateral "upgrade" to another 14-42.