1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus 14-42 funny noise when zooming

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by abooth2909, Feb 1, 2011.

1. abooth2909

abooth2909 New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2011
    Hi there, after my very warm welcome, I feel happy quizzing you knowledgeable lot with regards to my recent purchase!

I have just picked up a (silver 40.5mm filter size) Olympus 14-42 lens to have as a spare zoom in my kit bag and to complement the 20mm.

Now here is the issue....

When zooming in the 18-25mm range, there is a bit of resistance and a feint crunching / grinding noise. The best description I can come up with is when you take a cheap ball pen apart and twist the ink part round with the spring on the end so the spring grinds against the plastic! :redface:

I've not handled another of these lenses so am wondering if anyone else has the same lens and the same noise?

Many thanks

Andy

2. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    It certainly makes a noise. Whether yours is unusual is hard to judge without hearing it.
    You can probably find some audible instances of the normal noise on YouTube by which you can compare yours.

3. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    if you have the aperture wide open at 14mm, when you zoom to 42mm, the noise will be the aperture clicking down from 3.5-5.6. I guess this is the noise you are hearing.
    is it a small ticking kind of sound?

i don't know about that sort of resistance though...it's fairly smooth imo

4. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    Well, try zooming it with the camera turned off. Aside from a slight resistance increase around the 14-18 area, there should be smooth zooming. If not, you have a lens problem. And aside from the aperture tick mentioned above, you should not hear much else or feel any added resistance, when the camera is on. From your description it sounds like a physical lens problem, but as Spuff said, only you can judge for sure.

5. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    You probably have dirt in the lens somewhere and it should be taken apart and cleaned before it gets worse. I have a lens currently out of service for this very reason. :( (an old Leica lens)

6. abooth2909

abooth2909 New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2011
    Many thanks for all the replies guys, I've mainly tried it when off and the resistance is definitely nearer the 18mm mark. The dirt in the lens sounds like a distinct possibility.

The seller has kindly offered a full refund or to send it back for repair as its still under warranty. I got it really cheap (£30) so I am reluctant to send it back especially as it will only get occasional use (if the wife wants to use it and moans about the lack of zoom!)
    I will always have the 20mm with me as a backup as its so tiny to carry...

For the hassle / money, would you guys say its worth it or just keep it and use as and when needed. I'm not sure I'd get another as cheap...

7. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I'd find out the repair costs, if any, before making any decision.