1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 14-42 EZ

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jeff Worsnop, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Jeff Worsnop

Jeff Worsnop Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2016
    Jeff Worsnop
    Advice please about the above lens which I use on my EM10.
    I am tempted to buy an Oly 25mm f1.8 or Panasonic equivalent on the basis that a prime lens is sharper as well as faster.
    Question is whether the sharpness of a prime lens would be noticeably sharper in, say, a print 13" x 9". I guess there would be a noticeable difference at f4 but that is not a concern at the moment.
    Cheers
    Jeff

2. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    The 25mm primes are plenty sharp, but 14-42EZ shouldn't be terrible as is, I doubt you'd see that much improvement if you're only shooting stopped down.

But of course they'll be a lot faster. The zoom stops down to nearly f5 at 25mm, so you're gaining something like 3 full stops with a prime. ISO 800 vs 6400 is going to be pretty noticeable..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Jeff Worsnop

May 20, 2016
    Jeff Worsnop
    Thanks for reply.
    I am aware of the benefits of the availability. But I am interested in where to find data or real life experience about sharpness at f8/11 at the moment.
    Cheers
    Jeff

4. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
  5. Jeff Worsnop

May 20, 2016
    Jeff Worsnop
    I don't know where "availability"came from.
    I wrote "wider aperture" or something similar. Should proof read !!

6. Jeff Worsnop

May 20, 2016
    Jeff Worsnop
  7. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    My 14-42EZ was really not very good, I'd go as far as to call it disappointing (very soft across the whole frame at all apertures). The Oly 17mm f/1.8 and 12-40 Pro lenses are night and day better, there really is no comparison.

I've recently upgraded to the E-M10 Mk II which I bought body only and sold the EZ lens with the original E-M10 because I just didn't use it. There are probably better copies out there, but mine wasn't one of them.

8. Jeff Worsnop

May 20, 2016
    Jeff Worsnop
    Oh dear.
    I have Sony A580 and A58 with my main lens a Zeiss 16-80 but got the little Olympus to save weight without too much loss of quality. Seems my initial fears that I will need to spend money on primes might well be justified unless I just keep the Oly for casual shooting when out tramping the moors.
    Jeff

9. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    So you already have the 14-42, why don't you just try making a couple prints at 13x9 or whatever size you're interested in and see what you get. 13x9" at 300ppi will already be downsampling to 10-12 megapixels. Or at 200ppi it'd be 5MP. So you have some room to work with..
    Maybe do a matching photo with your Sony setup and print them both. See for yourself what levels of sharpness you're looking for and then make a judgement on how much money it's worth spending for an incremental improvement.

Don't get me wrong, the m43 primes are the best part of the system for me. But there's some limiting returns if you're looking for incremental sharpness gains at f8. The primes and pro zooms are sharper, but not hugely. Sharpness difference at f5 (wide open on the zoom) is more substantial, of course.

Just food for thought.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    You might get better results from the lens than I did, there always seems to be some variability from lens to lens with the bundled offerings from all the manufacturers (my Canon bundled lenses were never that great either). I'd give it a try and see how you get on, it's certainly a very small package for what it can achieve.

What I can say though is that the 12-40 Pro is an amazing lens, it really blew me away and continues to impress. Best £600 I've ever spent for the value that I get out of it. The 17mm F/1.8 prime is also a great lens and as a bonus negates the need for a flash in many situations which is where I tend to use it most (indoors at night or down the pub for instance). The primes and the pro lenses are better all round, with the exception of size/weight so I would give it a try first to see if your EZ is good enough.

11. Jeff Worsnop

May 20, 2016
    Jeff Worsnop
    Thanks for your post.
    I am waiting for printer ink so did as you suggest but on my IPad screen.
    I took RAW images using a tripod and stabilisation switched off. I was initially disappointed all round then realised I had to sharpen the images which I did in PS Touch, which is a bit crude. But the results were inconclusive except that my cheap Oly 40-150 came out really well.
    It has started raining so I will go out tomorrow if the weather is ok and do a series of shots then process in LR ready for printing, which is obviously what I should have done in the first place.
    It will be interesting to compare the 40-150 with my Tamron SP 70-300 which I know to be very sharp.
    Cheers
    Jeff

12. Jeff Worsnop

May 20, 2016
    Jeff Worsnop
    Thanks for info. about your 12- 40 Pro lens. I think I probably should think seriously about selling my Sony stuff and going for top quality M4/3 lenses. I'll start checking sold prices on EBay !!!
    Cheers
    Jeff

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    My copy of this lens was nice and sharp, although I never used it at f8, I wouldn't want to degrade the image that much.
    I get a lot of DOF for landscape at f5.6 with m4/3rds lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    That's an excellent use for the Oly. It makes a nice small package to have with you just in case you feel like shooting something, and you don't even have to worry about messing with a lens cap.

15. Jeff Worsnop

May 20, 2016
    Jeff Worsnop
    sony16 80     (5 of 10).JPG
    Attached are Oly and Sony images from this morning. Dull, cool and windy morning. Olly Cromwell slept here - allegedly. Oly is cooler image ( Sony with incorrect WB setting ). Both on tripod with IS disabled. Raw files taken at f8 with af for house picture and mf for wood pictures. Processed in LR and exported as jpgs. Still not able to print so screen is best option available. There seems little if any difference on screen but it will be interesting to print them when my inks arrive.
    Cheers
    Jeff
    PS Just discovered I had turned the Sony IS back on. I will have to go back and shoot the Sony test pictures again.
    sony16 80     (5 of 10).JPG oly14 42 test     (6 of 6).JPG sony16 80     (8 of 10).JPG oly14 42 test     (3 of 6).JPG

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Jeff Worsnop

May 20, 2016
    Jeff Worsnop
    Indeed yes.
    A couple of weeks ago I was in the Yorkshire Dales between Grizedale and Sedburgh/Uldale.
    Did three days of 7 hour walks on very rough and boggy moorland, with no paths, taking photographs at each OS map 1 kilometre grid line intersection. Thank goodness I had the little EM10. I could not have coped with heavier kit.
    Cheers
    Jeff

17. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

• Like Like x 3
  18. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    David Thorpe, although he doesn't claim to be an expert, says that he believes almost all m4/3 lenses are equally good if stopped down one or two stops. All except for maybe "pixel peepers", as he calls them.
    That has been more or less my experience.
    The better lenses have other strengths besides absolute sharpness, of course.

Beautiful photographs, by the way . . .
    I especially like the backlit street scene - classic!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  19. Jeff Worsnop

May 20, 2016
    Jeff Worsnop
    Thanks for posting these images.
    I am coming round to thinking that the lens is fine so long as it is stopped down a couple of stops and camera shake is properly controlled i.e. each lens used within parameters.
    Jeff

20. Jeff Worsnop

May 20, 2016
    Jeff Worsnop
    I have had a quick look at the David Thorpe blog, and will go back to it to enjoy the deliberate bubble pricking. The first item I read was the one about gentlemen trying to be seen to try not very much at what they do. It struck a chord with me about how some boys at my school behaved ( e.g. work like mad to do a difficult essay then deny any effort was made.) But that was 55 years ago and I guess and hope behaviour is more honest now, but I may well be wrong about that.
    Regarding photo equipment my recollection from film days when I was young is that camera and lens quality was an important factor because manufacturing tolerances were generally not good and design was not computer aided, so having expensive lenses brought distinct advantages. From what is being said it seems that camera and lens qualities are now much higher so long as they are used within reasonable parameters but quality differences do remain.
    Perhaps being too bothered about lens quality is because I have not moved on from my early days and maybe I should really have saved really hard and got a full, 35mm, frame camera with a prime lens and gone back to my early days.
    Cheers
    Jeff

• Like Like x 1