1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

olympus 14-42 ez

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by orchard county, Oct 7, 2015.

1. orchard county

orchard county Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    ireland
    Hi,is it possible to reverse mount this lens for close up shots?
    thanks

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I do not have a m43-37mm reverse ring but I tried with a Canon 50/1.8 with canon-52mm+canon->m43. The first problem is that with modern lenses you have no mechanical control on the aperture and this means you will be shooting wide open and this is a problem for macro.
    With the EZ you also do not have direct control on focus and focal length. I do not know how much focus is relevant for reverse macro (from a quick test seems it does not matter much). But when you turn it off the EZ retracts so much that I have no idea if you even get a usable focal length/lens.

I doubt you'll get anything useful, maybe some weird shots.

3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I know that people have used the EZ lens for tilt shift as you can hold it close to the mount and take pictures (with no electronic connection) while moving the lens around... so it still functions as a lens :p

Not entirely what you were after however someone with the lens might be able to offer more, I suspect just buying a macro lens for an old system would give better results. One that has always impressed me is the Olympus 50mm f3.5 macro for how cheap it is, often less than $50. I suspect it's one of the cheapest old lens with a floating element design.

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Ok, I just tried. Reversed it acts as a 42mm focused very far, not macro at all.

I agree that any old macro prime lens would be much better. You'll need to stop it down a lot so it does not matter the widest aperture and performance stopped down are usually good. Less known brands like Panagor, Miranda, etc. can cost less the a reverse ring.

5. orchard county

orchard county Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    ireland
    Ok thanks for your help