Olympus 14-42 EZ vs wider primes

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jant, Apr 29, 2014.

1. jant

jant New to Mu-43

Apr 29, 2014

I recently got the Olympus E-M10 with the 14-42mm EZ ("pancake") kit lens. I am looking for a wide angle/standard prime lens with a larger aperture (but still small). I think my options are:

- Panasonic 14mm f2.5 (not that much faster)
    - Olympus 17mm f2.8 (not that much faster)
    - Olympus 12mm f2 (probably too wide for me)
    - Olympus 17mm f1.8 (looks great!)
    - Panasonic 20mm f1.7 (great value, but maybe a bit too long and I also have the 25mm f1.4)
    - Sigma 19mm f2.8 (also a bit long and not that fast)
    - Panasonic 15mm f1.7(not yet available)

Would these primes be an upgrade compared to my kit lens? Any recommendations/experiences?

2. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    I have the 17 1.8 and it is a great lens. Fast focusing in low light, 1.8 is awesome for low light. It has a solid build. Been very happy with it so far for indoor use. Definitely sharper than the kit lens.
    It is not as small as the EZ lens but still fairly small.
  3. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I agree about the Oly 17/1.8. I had the 17/2.8 and loved it's size but as you said, not much faster than the 14-42EZ (which I have and love). I also had the Pana 14mm and 20mm. Loved the IQ of the 20mm but could not deal with the missed shots from the slow AF - and the missed shots in dim light. And while the 14mm was much faster at AF (than the 20mm), just felt that after getting the 14-42EZ I did not need two pancake lenses to make my EM10 smaller, and the 14-42EZ is more practical.

I have been very happy with the 17mm/1.8 as my "fast" lens. As was stated it is not too large, the AF is very quick even in low/dim lighting and the manual focus clutch is really cool to use.