1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus 14-42 EZ or Panasonic 12-32?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by nekrosoft13, May 19, 2014.

1. nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 13, 2014
    I will be buying E-M10 for my GF soon, and I just realized that all E-M10 kits online come with the crappy 14-42 IIR lens that you have to lock and unlock...

Anyway which would you recommend the Olympus 14-42 EZ or the Panasonic 12-32?

Is the EZ electronic zoom only?

2. dechoder

dechoder Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2013
    The EZ is electronic zoom only.. personally I don't like the way it operates.. hence I have a PL 12-32mm on order.. however if you can get the E-M10 with EZ kit lens as a kit then it is a lot cheaper

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'm not sure why you're considering the Panasonic 12-32 is you dislike the 14-42 II R's lock/unlock mechanism since that's basically how the 12-32 works as well (except there's a detent rather than a switch to prevent you from accidentally extending it). In 'transport' mode, neither lens is ready to shoot.

The 14-42EZ is electronic zoom only. The zooming is actually not too bad (much better than the Panasonic 14-42 X) but there is a delay when you turn the camera on (and off) as the lens is electronically extended.

If size is really important to you, I'd recommend the 12-32. If not, look for a secondhand Panasonic 14-42/3.5-5.6 II. It's smaller than the Olympus 14-42 II R, sharper, and it has no 'transport' mechanism and barely extends at all when zooming in or out.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.