1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 14-42 EZ focus problems

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by SojiOkita, Apr 5, 2014.

1. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Hi everyone,

I got my E-M10 with the 14-42 EZ yesterday.
    I've got huge problems with the autofocus on the 14-42 EZ.

All my autofocus photos are out of focus (and not slightly...)
    When I switch to MF, it's fine.
    When I try my 12-32, no problem with the autofocus.

Is there something to try (configuration, initialization, etc...) or is my lens defective?

AF.
    1st one is AF, 2d is MF, 3rd one is AF with the 12-32.
    100% crop of the image center.

2. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    You may want to check that you have "reset lens" set to "ON" in the AF/MF menu. I believe that this helps reset the focus on the electronic zooms when you change lenses.

If this does not work, I would think that you have a faulty lens that needs to be repaired or calibrated.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Looks defective. Double-check that the contacts don't have any crud on them though.

4. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    I checked the contacts... no change.
    I don't know how the body can consider that the focus is Ok with contrast detection, if the focus is as bad as my example.

Anyway... I'll check with my store tomorrow, I hope they could give me another one.
    I buy the E-M10 and the lens as a kit... and I don't want to change my E-M10 after the time I took to configure it to my taste.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    CDAF is not as flawless. I see occasional focus confirmation in situations far worse than what you have above - i.e. nothing in the whole frame is in focus at all. I've also seen reports of back/front-focus. My strong suspicion is that some amount of back/front-focus is actually fairly common, but goes unreported because at the apertures most people use on m4/3, the DoF is simply too deep to notice.

You should probably put together a spreadsheet with your settings even if you don't trade the camera in. It's valuable to have in case you let somebody else play with your camera or change a bunch of things and forget exactly which settings you've changed.

6. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    It happens with all possible settings, on every shot.
    There's just not one single successful shot in AF with this lens, either with the E-M10 & the GM1
    So it's pretty easy to reproduce ;)

7. fpabernard

fpabernard New to Mu-43

Mar 19, 2014
    Hello,

Same problem with an E-PL5 and the lens I received today. Some shots are fine, others very soft or out of focus ...

8. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Since you are having problems on two different bodies (assuming there is no user error and from the amount of testing you seem to have done that seems unlikely) I would say it is the lens. Have you tried the EM10 with any other lenses?
    I just took that combo (EM10 and 14-42EZ) on a trip to Nashville/Memphis - you can see some of the shots in the thread in the Olympus Camera forum - and aside from a few shots where faces (using Face Detection) were not the sharpest thing in the picture (surprising but it was the times I handed the camera to someone else to use) I never got one shot so out of focused as the one you posted.
    BTW - do you use all the AF points or just the center one? I am asking because as much as I love the 81 AF points on the EM10, it is just too bothersome (for me) to be constantly checking to see what the camera decided to AF on. I leave my EM10 on Center AF point only.

9. fpabernard

fpabernard New to Mu-43

Mar 19, 2014
    The body is fine with other lenses.

Most of the time I shot with the touch screen otherwise I use the central point.

I asked the shop a RMA.

10. fpabernard

fpabernard New to Mu-43

Mar 19, 2014
    I just received a new lens.

It performs almost normally with an E-P5 (some missed focus but not much more than other lenses) and a little worse on an E-PL5.

It's fine for me as it's not my main lens and intend to use it for casual stills or videos.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I was hoping for better results with your replacement. I was considering the EZ. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Lee

12. fpabernard

fpabernard New to Mu-43

Mar 19, 2014
    The problem is, that having the 12-40, my expectations are now very high ...

The 14-42 EZ is a good lens, the 12-40 is an exceptional one ... but bigger

"On ne peut pas avoir le beurre et l'argent du beurre"

13. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Mine is back from "repair" and is even worse tan before : sometimes it cannot focus at all and there is always a very strong backfocus.