Olympus 14-42 ED or EZ?

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
I'm very new to MFT's, so new I don't have a camera yet. lol Moving away from my 7D and heavy glass to something small and light.

My wife's E-PL5 with the 14-42 ED lens came in yesterday, but my OM-D E-M10 was back ordered with the 14-42 EZ pancake lens until by mistake while chatting with a person at B&H he canceled my order so now I have to reorder.

I have not used a power zoom for many years, but have been playing with her 14-42 ED and really like the feel and pictures it takes. But after using a 70-200mm 2.8 Canon lens for years, that little lens is so small...

I can get the E-M10 with the standard ED lens for $799 and the E-M10 and EZ for $948. Other than the size difference is it really worth the extra cash over the ED version as far as image quality goes?

Thanks

rh22

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Rob
I have both. Don't think there is any notable difference in terms of image quality, focus speed, etc. The main differences to me are size (obviously) and build quality (EZ has metal mount).

DL Photo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Dave
You can change the zoom speed in the E-M10 menu. It has two settings....normal and fast. I think it zooms in and out fast enough for my needs (on the fast setting).
Love the size of the EZ and have no complaints regarding the quality of the pictures it produces.

rh22

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Rob
Agree with the previous post...if you change the zoom speed to fast in the camera menu, the power zoom is fine. I personally don't like it as much as the regular zoom but that is probably due to shorter ownership and what I am used to. Overall, it is a nice lens. Worth the money is the question...

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
It's hard deciding if it's worth the extra money or not.

From what I have read the lens extends when the camera is turned on and closes up when turned off. Unlike the ED where you have to manually open and close it.

Thanks

WendyK

Super Moderator
Real Name
Wendy
Well, image quality might not be much different, but to me the size makes the difference between bringing my camera along almost everywhere, and not bringing it, so it was worth it to me. I can fit the E-M10 + EZ (with a neoprene wrap) in my purse and bring it along easily. That has meant that I'm capturing a lot of "daily life" photos that I would not have gotten otherwise. Turns out there are lots of opportunities for photos during otherwise wasted time waiting for my son to be done with a music lesson or activity, or when I see something interesting. I'm a relative newbie so this is helping me train my eye to really look at light and composition and to try out all the settings and modes on my camera. Many of the photos may not be keepers but I'm learning lessons that I can apply any time. You are most likely a lot more experienced than I am so that may not be relevant.

FWIW I wasn't sure if I'd like the electronic zoom and I have no trouble with it at all (I also have it set to "fast"), and I think the build quality is very good. I also figured that with the $100 off, if I didn't like it I could get my money back easily by selling it later.

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
WendyK that's a great point and my whole reason to move away from my DSLR kit is size. The past two weekends I have carried my 7D, 24-105 and 70-200mm 2.8 another day at Busch Gardens and after lugging that stuff around all day twice I thought of going small and light. Today we went to Busch Gardens for a couple hours and I only carried my wife's Oly E-PL5 with its 14-42mm ED standard lens and forgot I even had it with me.

I feel I've lost a lot of enjoyment in photography due to carrying a lot of heavy gear and going with something small and light as you did may help bring me back to it.

Thanks

DL Photo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Dave
WendyK that's a great point and my whole reason to move away from my DSLR kit is size. The past two weekends I have carried my 7D, 24-105 and 70-200mm 2.8 another day at Busch Gardens and after lugging that stuff around all day twice I thought of going small and light. Today we went to Busch Gardens for a couple hours and I only carried my wife's Oly E-PL5 with its 14-42mm ED standard lens and forgot I even had it with me.

I feel I've lost a lot of enjoyment in photography due to carrying a lot of heavy gear and going with something small and light as you did may help bring me back to it.

Thanks

I sold my 7D and a bunch of "L" lenses a few weeks back. Exactly the same situation for me. Got tired of carrying that heavy gear around. Also hated looking like a pro with all of that gear.

Loving the m43 setup. Now I blend in really well. The EZ lens and my small primes plus the E-M10 are just perfect for this hobby.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The same heavy Canon L gear brought me to this system as well....

I personally would go with the EZ which would mean the option of carrying an all around zoom more often. I'm kinda set on getting it at this point BUT I already spent a budget on the Olympus 25mm so the EZ will have to wait (or when I get it used).

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
I'm trying to order a E-M10, but know one has them in stock.

I already picked up a Oly. 40-150 and a 30mm sigma from the forums here, but no body yet other than my wife's E-PL5 which is pretty sweet. Not going to go crazy and buy a ton of glass this time. Going to put a small kit together and enjoy it, but had to have a prime. I've thought about just getting a PL5, but I'm so used to a view finder I don't think I would be happy without it.

Just my 7D & 24-105 to sell now and no more heavy gear..

rh22

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Rob
Best Buy seems to have them in stock online. Says usually leaves warehouse in 1 day.

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
Best Buy seems to have them in stock online. Says usually leaves warehouse in 1 day.

I seen those, but they only have black in stock and I was wanting the silver one and unlike B&H they don't offer the combo pricing with the 14-42 EZ lens.

Thanks

Kramer

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Rob Kramer
btw, b&h also gives you $100 off the 25 f1.8, and another $100 off the 45 f1.8, which is a great deal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

Swandy

Mu-43 Veteran
I have both and while I think (just my personal opinion from some quick test shots when I first got the EZ lens) compared to the 14-42IIR, the EZ is VERY slightly sharper (or perhaps the contrast is just a bit better) than I see from the 14-42IIR. Significant - absolutely not. And the AF, again perhaps a VERY, VERY slight edge to the EZ but again nothing significant - or even really noticeable. (But perhaps these "improvements" are me just wanting/expecting the newer lens to be better?)
As far as the power zoom, it does take a bit of getting used to after having all lenses with manual zoom, but after a while you really don't notice it.

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
I have both as well. I agree that the EZ is slightly sharper, but it so much easier to carry.

From the E-M10 w/ EZ:

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/dornblaser/13855172794/player/" width="1024" height="768" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

I previously posted this in another thread:

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/dornblaser/12983045883/player/" width="600" height="800" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Latest threads

Top Bottom