Olympus 14-150mm Sample Images at FourThirds-User.com

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    FourThirds-User.com has published 38 image samples as well as video from the new Olympus 14-150mm f/4-5.6 zoom lens (link to pre-order at Amazon). They also give their impressions regarding autofocus and other attributes.

Link: Olympus m.Zuiko 14-150mm f/4-5.6 superzoom sample images

Via: 1001 Noisy Cameras (great source for Micro 4/3 news and rumors)

:bravo-009: to FourThirds-User.com for providing full-size JPEG and RAW images to download for all samples. It's hard to understand why DPReview can't do the same with their sample image galleries :confused:.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    I take it dpreview will be preparing a full on lens review in their labs as we speak. These samples look very good to be going on with.

I can't wait to do a side by side comparison with my PL 14-150 for 4/3rds... if this m4/3rds lens compares well then it will be a great achievement.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  3. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Is it me, or is there some fringing/CA in the photos with the boats? Look at the left side with the windows. I could be seeing double, but there's something not right about that side of the image.

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I do see some CA in a few of the photos, but man I had to look hard for it. Since Oly doesn't correct this in software, at least I don't think, I think the CA isn't bad at all. I saw a little in Image number 13 on the shirt hanging in the boat. Which picture specifically are you looking at?

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Can't wait to read your impressions, Brian - and see some photos, as well!

6. photoSmart42

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Images 20 and 21 from the 4/3 forum link, the windows in the upper left. Like I said, I could be seeing things, but there's something about that area that doesn't look right.

7. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There's some CA there, but IMO it's not bad for high contrast corners from a compact megazoom. I downloaded the RAW file for image 21, opened it in the Lightroom 3 beta, and a -50 Red/Cyan adjustment eliminates the CA.

8. Djarum

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Yes, there is some there but thats not bad at all. Thats mild compared to some of the fuji and oly superzoom cameras. I don't mind the red CA as much as I do the blue or purple CA. Looking at the corners with those windows, it does show some corner softness too.

Dj

9. photoSmart42

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    That's cool. I don't see it as an issue either. Just making sure I'm not seeing things again.

10. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    Man, I would love for this to be available before I leave for vacation on the 20th!

And, isn't it interesting how my little $500 camera will wind up at $1500....

• Like Like x 2
  11. BBW

What is the price going to be?

• Like Like x 2
  12. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I was wondering the same.

13. georger

georger Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2010
    In my Amazon cart I have:
    mu4/3 14-150mm lens - $599. With time the current price will likely erode but likely not within a month of my travel to EU. I am still amazed how mu4/3 prices are holding, must be a good product. Costco's E-P1 for $499 is a pretty good deal.
    LH-61C hood - $23.24
    58mm B+W UV filter - $23.21
    George.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Djarum

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    MSRP was reportedly 599, USD

15. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I believe the $599 in the US is correct. A lot more everywhere else.

Unfortunately, my camera money 'bank' is pretty lean at the moment.

16. BBW

Many thanks. I guess I thought it was so new that it wouldn't even show up for sale anywhere so I didn't even look!:redface:

Very tempting!

17. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think $599 is a very good price for this lens and should put some pressure on Panasonic to reduce the price of their 14-140mm lens.

18. I've got an Amazon preoder for it at $599. I'm not entirely thrilled by the IQ in the pictures in the link (the wicked pincushion distortion at wide angles and overall CA may prove correctable, but the wide-angle corner softness and the overall softness at 150 mm won't be), but it doesn't look worse than the Oly 14-42, and I've taken some decent pictures with that lens.

19. georger

georger Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2010
    Does anyone know how long the new ยต4/3 14X150mm lens is? I was not successful searching the web.
    George.

20. According to here, it's 83 mm (about 3 1/4") long by 63.5 mm (2 1/2") in diameter. (I believe that the length includes the flange, but I'm not sure.) That makes it the same length as the Panasonic 14-140, but at a slightly smaller diameter and 60% of the weight.