1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus 14-150mm questions

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Art, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Do you find your images taken with Olympus 14-150mm lens on a Pen camera (E-PL2 in my case) have a little blur? I found that even at good shutter speeds, e.g. 1/800s I get a little blur (static objects) when viewed at 100% even with IBIS on. It's usually the case at longer FL. How does this lens work out for you, any tricks to share?

2. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Hello - just back from a trip where I used this lens a lot, albeit on an EP1, and very satisfied with sharpness. Was yours a little stopped down ? No specific tricks apart from the usual (hold your breath, rest elbows against torso,yourself against anything solid...) Have you tried any test shots with the camera on the ground or a tripod ? Have you updated the firmware (even if it should only improve AF speed on EPx3s) ?

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I just updated the firmware but haven't tried it yet. I believe there should be no difference on E-PL2. Interestingly, Olympus Update service no longer recognize the lens after update, only shows firmware version and that it's current.
    I don't have problem with sharpness when there is no blur. My problem is slight blur of images at longer focal lens. I wonder if disabling IBIS at higher shutter speeds can solve this. I haven't done a lot of testing yet. I probably should test if with a tripod.

4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Any other users?

5. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Yup, another user here, and really pleased with it. No sharpness problems, but have done a few tests and IBIS only realistically gives one stop at the 150mm end, so don't depend on it to give you sharp shots..... I find IBIS much more effective at shorter focal lengths.

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Would you suggest to turn off IBIS at shutter speeds above 1/500s?
    When there is no blur, the sharpness is great even wide open at 150mm but that usually happens with shutter speeds of at least 1/1200s (w/IBIS on)
    I just have a feeling that IBIS possibly adds some blur with this specific lens at certain shutter speeds (below 1/1000s). I will try do some testing w/tripod.
    Also, this is with E-PL2. I understand that E-P3 has better IBIS implementation. I think the difference is over a stop as tested by digitalcamerainfo.com

7. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I try not to make rocket science of it myself, so only turn IBIS off if it's on a tripod or a beanbag - I'd be interested in the results of your tests if you do them though, as it's always good to know how lenses and IBIS work at different settings....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.