Olympus 14-150mm questions

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Art, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Do you find your images taken with Olympus 14-150mm lens on a Pen camera (E-PL2 in my case) have a little blur? I found that even at good shutter speeds, e.g. 1/800s I get a little blur (static objects) when viewed at 100% even with IBIS on. It's usually the case at longer FL. How does this lens work out for you, any tricks to share?

2. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Hello - just back from a trip where I used this lens a lot, albeit on an EP1, and very satisfied with sharpness. Was yours a little stopped down ? No specific tricks apart from the usual (hold your breath, rest elbows against torso,yourself against anything solid...) Have you tried any test shots with the camera on the ground or a tripod ? Have you updated the firmware (even if it should only improve AF speed on EPx3s) ?

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I just updated the firmware but haven't tried it yet. I believe there should be no difference on E-PL2. Interestingly, Olympus Update service no longer recognize the lens after update, only shows firmware version and that it's current.
    I don't have problem with sharpness when there is no blur. My problem is slight blur of images at longer focal lens. I wonder if disabling IBIS at higher shutter speeds can solve this. I haven't done a lot of testing yet. I probably should test if with a tripod.

4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Any other users?

5. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Yup, another user here, and really pleased with it. No sharpness problems, but have done a few tests and IBIS only realistically gives one stop at the 150mm end, so don't depend on it to give you sharp shots..... I find IBIS much more effective at shorter focal lengths.

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Would you suggest to turn off IBIS at shutter speeds above 1/500s?
    When there is no blur, the sharpness is great even wide open at 150mm but that usually happens with shutter speeds of at least 1/1200s (w/IBIS on)
    I just have a feeling that IBIS possibly adds some blur with this specific lens at certain shutter speeds (below 1/1000s). I will try do some testing w/tripod.
    Also, this is with E-PL2. I understand that E-P3 has better IBIS implementation. I think the difference is over a stop as tested by digitalcamerainfo.com

7. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I try not to make rocket science of it myself, so only turn IBIS off if it's on a tripod or a beanbag - I'd be interested in the results of your tests if you do them though, as it's always good to know how lenses and IBIS work at different settings....