olympus 14-150

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by shoturtle, Apr 7, 2011.

1. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    Got my 14-150, and it is the the prefect travel super light lens. It focus faster then my 45-200. And the thing is small. It will be in the super light kit when I want need to travel super light. 14-150 and 20 1.7 with the epl-1. Not much more I need to add, as the 14-150 takes my 500D close lens at 58mm.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Cool! But doesn't the big Canon 500D glasses put too much weight on the lens tip, esp. extended?
    I'm a bit wary of the mechanical reliability of these superlight telescopic lenses...
  3. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    No not really, it is not much larger then a CPL. It works perfectly. And the 500D is not that big, just put 2 polarizing filters together, and that is the size of the 500D
  4. willr

willr New to Mu-43

Mar 14, 2011
    shutter speed

I've been playing with this amazingly versatile lens for a few weeks, mostly taking candid portraits of my children using an EPL-2 with the optional eye-level electronic viewfinder (a brilliant thing, if a bit of an unwieldy addition to the camera). The 14-150 is a great piece of kit in good light; fantastically compact & light for the range it offers.

However, at the long end (135mm+) I find that, notwithstanding the camera image stabilsation (IS), I need a minimum 1/250 sec or higher shutter speed to get a sharp image. This is entirely consistent with the general rule about focal length & shutter speed (m4/3 150mm = 300mm 35mm equivalent, so 1/250 sec is rational) although I'd hoped the IS would give a bit more benefit than it appears to.

Children don't stay still for long (!) so it's difficult to say definitively whether I'm actually seeing camera shake rather than subject movement but things like eyelashes are not always as crisp as I'd like at the telephoto end.

I don't think it's missed focus because there is no obviously sharper portion of the image; it's just slightly soft. For the record, I'm using Lightroom 3.4 to process the Olympus RAW images. Alternatively, despite the many virtues of this kit, it may be just a bit of long-end 'superzoom softness'. I am probably subconsciously comparing to Canon RAW images from full-frame + 'L' glass, which is not really fair...!

Anyone have other views?
  5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I think it is very fair to compare m43 glass to Canon L series. Panny 20mm f1.7 is as sharp as similar Canon L lenses while 4/3 lens Olympus ZD 50mm f2 may even exceed the best of Canon L lenses in some tests for only a fraction of the cost. The weak AA filter in m43 cameras captures sharper images with equivalent lens. Once we used to sharp pictures we cannot go back. Think of it as HD vs SD, the difference is too apparent now. I remeber the time when DVDs looked very sharp to me, they never will again...
    Bottomline: If you could put Oly 14-150mm lens on a body with regular/ strong AA filter - you would likely get P&S quality pictures. Have you tried to compare Canon jpegs with L glass?

6. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    Optically the 20 1.7 is not as sharp as the L lens primes. What make it look close is the correction theta m4/3 uses. The 50 1.2 and 35 1.4 are super sharp optically. The only lens that comes close is th pl 45 2.8. They are good lenses, but there is a reason they are 1500 dollar lenses and the 20 1.7 is a 400 dollar lens.
  7. compositor20

compositor20 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2010
    well could you tell me a canon lens that is sharper at f1.8 than the pancake 20mm? canon 85mm f1.8 probably... the lens is very sharp and contrasty right at f1.8 which is not very common for fast primes
  8. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    35 1.4 l comes to mine, and the 50 1.2 l also. And the 85 1.8 for a none L as well. Then there are the sigma 30 1.4 and the 50 1.4.