Olympus 14-150 or Panasonic 14-140 f3.5-5.6

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Dave Jenkins, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

If anyone has used both the Olympus 14-150 and the Panasonic 14-140 f3.5-5.6 extensively enough to make a thoughtful comparison, I would like to learn your opinion. I have the Oly, which has become my main walk-around lens. I hear the Panny is better, but is it enough better to justify selling the Oly and getting it?

2. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    Bump. I would like to know also.

3. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Me too, I would also like to know a little more about the Tamron 14-150.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I've used Oly 14-150 in the past with E-PL2 and E-P2. I brought the lens on two vacation trips and was never quite satisfied with the images I was getting from it. In the end, I had way more keepers with Panny 20mm from those trips. The problem with Oly 14-150 is poor color (dull files), lack of crispiness, very poor performance for distant subjects, supbar build quality (think of Oly 14-42mm kit lens). It does ok for portraits in the middle of the zoom and macro with achromats but poorly for environmental portraits (travel) as it softens up when shooting from a distance, same goes for wide angle shooting. I sold the zoom when I found that my newly acquired RX100 at the time was producing far better results with noticeably better color and sharpness.

A couple of months ago, I acquired Panasonic 14-140 II and it is my most used lens now with E-M10. I was skeptical about superzooms after my experience with Oly. IMO, this Panny superzoom is in entirely different league and compares favorably with primes. I've been PL25 user for a long time so I know what good sharpness and color mean. Panny zoom is up there with the primes, great color and contrast and sharp throughout the zoom range. Dramatic difference from Oly zoom even when I look at iphone sized pictures. Build quality is very nice and the lens doesn't extend as much as Oly. I also used to own Panny 45-175 and I believe 14-140 II is actually sharper. I highly recommend this lens. Snap on Raynox 150 or 250 and you got powerful macro.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

• Like Like x 4