Olympus 14-150 II vs. Panasonic 14-140 3.5-5.6 II (WR)

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
From personal experience I recommend sticking to OEM lenses but mostly for E-M5 Mark III, E-M1 Mark II and III and E-M1 X because the AF is faster and more reliable and you don’t lose features like Pro Capture Low (if that’s important for you). Similar for Panasonic, DFD and Dual IS makes it worth to stick with OEM. But this applies if these features are of interest for you and if AF is paramount (if you are shooting landscapes and street photography and portraits then that would be a no).
Sticking OEM combo's is also my experience. I own both Oly and Pansonic bodies and lenses but tend not to mix brands. Especially for the Dual IS.

I think no matter what gear I end up with in the future I can always see a Panasonic body and their 14-140 & 100-300 as my light weight dual IS light weight set. There are a lot of things I like better in my Oly gear but for versatility and light weight I cant see anything better for me.

Now if I want to do a bit of macro or anything specific I reach for my Oly gear.

But that's just needs case.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I shoot with a Panasonic GX80 body, my selection of P7-14, 14-140 and 100-300 zooms works for me, plus a few primes.

Krbo

New to Mu-43
I have been contemplating buying a travel lens for my G85. I like the Olympus in the 1st set and the Panasonic in the 2nd. I own the Panasonic 12-60 kit lens and the 45-150. It seems many users prefer to just use the 12-60. Do you prefer the Olympus or the Panasonic?

I will certainly suggest Panasonic lens for Panasonic body - Dual IS and DFD are two big reasons (Oly60 macro is an exception)
Between those two on a Panasonic body I'll prefer Panasonic because of more sharpness but would like that 10mm more Oly gives
12-60 is one of the best kit lenses and if zoom range suits you dont's search further

ChuckG

Mu-43 Rookie
The 12-60 is on my camera 80 to 90% of the time. Depending on the situation I will swap it for my 30mm macro or the 45-150. There are situations where I would like the longer reach and eventually airshows in my area of the U.S. will return. Probably wouldn't use the 100-300 very often. I have a Tamron 18-270 for my Sony a77 that essentially lives on the camera. I do travel to Disneyworld a couple of times a year and like taking walks in nearby parks. I think an all in one travel lens for those situations would be easier than trying to swap lenses and hope the bird/squirrel/ whatever doesn't move. I rented the Panasonic 14-140 during the holidays but didn't get much of a chance to really test it out. Overall I thought it was decent. Thank you for your help.

Snapshooter

Mu-43 Regular
I chose the Panasonic 14-140 II to pair with my E-M1. I have liked it very much. Maybe I would like the Olympus lens just as much or more—I don’t know. Something I’ve noticed that I did not take into account when making my choice between the Olympus and Panasonic lenses is that once I got the super zoom attached on the camera, and the longer focal lengths were so easily in reach without a lens change, I started using them a lot more! I guess that’s kind of the point of a super zoom!

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
If the Oly nonpro 100-400/4-6.3 is under 2.5lb then I think the 12-40/2.8 and 100-400/4-6.3 will be my backpacking duo, with the long lens being the primary for trail encounters. I almost went full frame but the 4lb super tele lenses are not quite backpackable.
The Oly 100-400 is 2.47 lbs (1120g) without the tripod adapter (3.1 lbs with!). So, it would work for you I guess. I'm with @Brownie, however, when he talked about using the 100-400 as a walkabout lens:
I took the 100-400 on a woods walk recently. YIKES! I really bought it for air shows and the drag strip where I'm more sationary. I'd like to try some wildlife, but again, sitting still.
It's much too heavy for me for any kind of extended walking (10-12 feet! ;) ) as a walkabout lens, even on an E-M5.3.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom