Olympus 14-150 II announced Feb 2015: discussion thread

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
This lens is interesting:

- splash proof
- nice coatings
- revised use of special lens elements (I think)
- good price

Panasonic snatched the high ground with their revamped 14-140 a year or 2 ago. It was a step ahead optically.

Pairing it in kits with the new M5 II, as a splash-proof unit, is a nice idea by Oly, if the Mk II is optically satisfying and competitive. Has Olympus or anyone posted anything about Mk II's optical prowess? e.g. MTF?

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
The problem that I see with all m4/3 zooms is that there is no middle ground. With 4/3 zooms you had three choices, standard, high grade and super high grade. Standard lenses were what equates to most m/4/3 zooms (fairly slow), SHG equates to the pro lenses (constant f stop at least, if not as fast), but there are no HG equivalent lenses (f2.8-3.5 stops in the zoom range) available from either Olympus or Panasonic. Is it too difficult to create f2.8-3.5 zooms in m4/3?

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
The problem that I see with all m4/3 zooms is that there is no middle ground. With 4/3 zooms you had three choices, standard, high grade and super high grade. Standard lenses were what equates to most m/4/3 zooms (fairly slow), SHG equates to the pro lenses (constant f stop at least, if not as fast), but there are no HG equivalent lenses (f2.8-3.5 stops in the zoom range) available from either Olympus or Panasonic. Is it too difficult to create f2.8-3.5 zooms in m4/3?
The size and weight difference once you get to m4/3 level is probably minimal. That makes making tiers of lenses less important. Something like the 12-50 or 45-175 really should have been improved to get to the middle tier though... They don't out perform the kit lenses as they are, making them pointless unless you really like their other special 'features'.

I think the other thing is that Olympus are banking on their IBIS making up for slow lenses - a weather sealed f/3.5-6.3 or f/4-5.6 wouldn't work very well without very good IS given that bad weather tends to be darker...

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I own the ZD 18-180 f3.5-6.3 zoom (which gets lonely from non-use) and no amount of IBIS is going to help when things get start getting dark, you reach max ISO before you know it. I'm still completely surprised that there hasn't been one f2.8-3.5 zoom in m4/3.

jcm5

Mu-43 Veteran
How would this compare to the Panasonic 14-140mm f3.5-5.6?

I guess there's the 10mm extra focal length but interested to hear your thoughts on the two lenses. I'm in the market for possibly buying a 14-1xx lens though I haven't decided yet what's the best bang for the buck...

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
How would this compare to the Panasonic 14-140mm f3.5-5.6?

I guess there's the 10mm extra focal length but interested to hear your thoughts on the two lenses. I'm in the market for possibly buying a 14-1xx lens though I haven't decided yet what's the best bang for the buck...

10mm at that focal length is nothing. It doesn't have OIS either which, given it's a slower lens, makes it less attractive if you have a Panasonic body.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
Take the Panasonic unless you have IBIS. It also has the better optics than the mk1 Olympus, but there are conflicting reports on whether the new Olympus has upgraded optics other than coatings. I think it has, in which case we need test reports!

Let us know if you find any.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
Although the DPR item on this lens suggests no optical change except coatings by describing the upgrade as "cosmetic improvements and optical coatings", the Imaging Resource item says "The optical construction has been updated with new lens elements and coatings. The overall number of elements and groups -- 15 elements in 11 groups -- is unchanged, but the new Mark II version sports a single dual-sized aspherical element, one ED glass element, and three HR (High Refractive) elements, as opposed to two aspherical and two ED elements in the older model."

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If I did not already have the 12-40... I would be considering this for an all purpose weather-sealed travel zoom, pending reasonable optics.

RMills

Mu-43 Regular
I'm interested in this lens as well. I've found conflicting info also, new design or not. I'd like a "medium" quality all-in-one for kayaking and hoping this is the lens.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
I'm interested in this lens as well. I've found conflicting info also, new design or not. I'd like a "medium" quality all-in-one for kayaking and hoping this is the lens.

The MTF curves and optical formulas are identical between version 1 and 2. If you liked the original lens, you'll like this one, and vice versa.

mistermark

Mu-43 Regular
I found the 14-150mm to be below expectations compared to the 14-140mm MkI.

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=52925

I'd like to know that there have been changes to the optics of the 14-150mm MkII before getting too excited about it.

Me too. Tests seem to suggest that the original is not as good as the mk2 Panasonic equivalent (which I own and rate). If Olympus can match or ideally beat it optically while adding weather sealing, I'd be very tempted.

Sent from my D6603 using Mu-43 mobile app

Latest threads

Top Bottom