Showcase Olympus 135mm f/4.5 Macro OM

• Thread starter Deleted member 29285
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29285

My second pic from this lens (first was a throwaway) mounted on the OM telescoping extension tube. Using the E-M5 II.
Just a raindrop on a winter leaf bud, about 4 feet from the camera. Gloomy rainy day.

135TET_P7130001_web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Hey, this thread needs some juice!

Picked up my 135/4.5 with the TET yesterday while working on shelling mandan corn.
_A311197.JPG

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hey! Nice shot Alex, I like it, I think... :)
That corn shot, needs some more juice.. haha.
Show us a pic of the lens please Bytesmith.
Or you Alec, a shot of it on your m5ii would be worth looking at..

Last edited:

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Here it is on a modified Nikon PB-4 bellows, although I prefer using it on the incredible Olympus Telescoping Extension Tube.
Frankenbellows.jpg

It was actually designed for a tilt-shift bellows that Olympus never sold, and it has a huge image circle, rumoured to be able to cover medium format film, which is why it does great with the Nikon tilt-shift bellows.

Last edited:

Sammyboy

m43 Pro
... I like those Nikon PB-4 bellows, very versatile. I have an OM bellows and OM focusing stage that I like a lot, but the nylon bearings on the rails are prone to cracking ...

D

Deleted member 29285

Hey! Nice shot Alex, I like it, I think... :)
That corn shot, needs some more juice.. haha.
Or you Alec, a shot of it on your m5ii would be worth looking at..

Here are a couple of pics I uplifted from a seller on eBay,
OM 135mm f4.5 +TET-s-l1600.jpg
OM 135mm f4.5 +TET-s-l1600-2.jpg
OM 135mm f4.5 +TET-s-l1600-3.jpg

And if you like I can do one of the combo on my E-M5 II as well,
Cheers,
Alec

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yes please Alec. I think we need to see this equipment mounted to a M5mkii...
Hard case link to Woods OM macro stuff Jan, like going back in time!
Regarding the heirloom corn, I am preparing all the heirloom varieties I can get my hands on. Just in case...

D

Deleted member 29285

Yes please Alec. I think we need to see this equipment mounted to a M5mkii...
Hard case link to Woods OM macro stuff Jan, like going back in time!
Regarding the heirloom corn, I am preparing all the heirloom varieties I can get my hands on. Just in case...

OK, some pics.

First, alongside the Vivitar 135/2.5 close focussing, for comparison. The Vivitar is single twist for focusing to 1:2 magnification. Both lenses closed for infinity focus.
P1012058.-webjpg.jpg

And then the same pic, but lenses fully extended for 1:2 mag.
P1012063-web.jpg

And now the OM 135/4.5 + TET mounted on the E-M5 II (via OM - m4/3 adapter). Closed for infinity focus.
P1012068-web.jpg

And with the 135/4.5 TET fully extended
P1012065-web.jpg

Note the TET has a tripod mounting foot, and is quite well balanced mounted on the E-M5 II, closed or extended.

Cheers,
Alec

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thank you Alec!
Looks fabulous. It would go real nice with my new tripod...
Very interesting.... congratulations, lovely gear.

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Just picked up one of these. Can't wait for it to arrive.
Question for people that use this - is the protrusion at the rear longer than the m43 OM adapter? Can the lens be used without out the extension tubes? I've got the tube, but I'm curious to know how compact I can make the package. I've also got a set of Zuiko OM extension tubes - I think they add about 21mm (with a 7 & 14mm spacer) - would that be sufficient or would I loose infinity focus?

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Coincidentally, I was looking at a couple of adverts for the 135 macro yesterday but wasn't sure about fit, given the rear protrusion.
I'm even more confused now, seeing the photos above.
Can someone please enlighten me on what that "TFT" bit is?

I've got some OM extension tubes but surely the 135 bit can be used on its own.
Thanks. :hmmm:

D

Deleted member 29285

Question for people that use this - is the protrusion at the rear longer than the m43 OM adapter? Can the lens be used without out the extension tubes? I've got the tube, but I'm curious to know how compact I can make the package. I've also got a set of Zuiko OM extension tubes - I think they add about 21mm (with a 7 & 14mm spacer) - would that be sufficient or would I loose infinity focus?

The protrusion at the rear of the 135/4.5 lens is 19.5mm from the bayonet face.
The lens will fit onto a m4/3 body via an OM-m4/3 lens adapter, but the lens is too close to the body to focus.

D

Deleted member 29285

Coincidentally, I was looking at a couple of adverts for the 135 macro yesterday but wasn't sure about fit, given the rear protrusion.
I'm even more confused now, seeing the photos above.
Can someone please enlighten me on what that "TFT" bit is?

I've got some OM extension tubes but surely the 135 bit can be used on its own.
Thanks. :hmmm:

The rear lens protrusion is 19.5mm from the bayonet flange.
TET means "telescoping extension tube", and the extension varies from 65mm to 116mm, hence its name "65-116 telescopic macro extension tube".
If you had extension tubes at least 65mm in length then the lens should work on an m4/3 body.
I don't have extension tubes to test.

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I imagine it would mount on an adapter, but I'm not sure it would do anything useful.

It has an extremely limited range of focus — the internal helicoid is only intended to be a "focus fine-tune," which it does very well when mounted on a bellows or the Telescoping Extension Tube.

You really need to get a TET for this to do it justice! They can be had for under $100. For serious work, make sure the one you get has the tripod bracket, which is removable, although mine is used without 90% of the time, thanks to IBIS.

phigmov

I imagine it would mount on an adapter, but I'm not sure it would do anything useful.

It has an extremely limited range of focus — the internal helicoid is only intended to be a "focus fine-tune," which it does very well when mounted on a bellows or the Telescoping Extension Tube.

You really need to get a TET for this to do it justice! They can be had for under $100. For serious work, make sure the one you get has the tripod bracket, which is removable, although mine is used without 90% of the time, thanks to IBIS.

Cheers. Yup, already got the TET - posted in the 80mm OM Zuiko Macro Bellows (which is a different bit of kit but saves creating a new thread just for the tubes) thread a few minutes before posing the question. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to try out the lens (& tube) combo soon. Hopefully there will still be a few flowers & insects around to capture a few images.

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
surely the 135 bit can be used on its own
Not practically.

It has a short helicoid focus that is only intended to be used for "fine tuning."

You could stick it on an adaptor and them move back and forth to focus, but you aren't going to have much range at all.

In practical use, it needs the TET or bellows.

phigmov

Not practically.

It has a short helicoid focus that is only intended to be used for "fine tuning."

You could stick it on an adaptor and them move back and forth to focus, but you aren't going to have much range at all.

In practical use, it needs the TET or bellows.

Do you get a longer working distance (I guess I should check Alan Woods site...) ?
If I use the 65mm end of the TET with the 135 will I get something like the Nikon 200mm Micro-Nikkor working distance or does that actually reduce the working distance? For example my Zuiko 80mm on the TET has a very small working distance - which I get, mostly when you add spacers to a lens it tends to do that... but on the other hand lenses like the 105 Kiron, 100 Pentax or 200 Nikon give you more breathing room.

Latest threads

Top Bottom