1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus 12mm lens hood?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by thisisanton, May 8, 2012.

1. thisisanton

thisisanton Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Does anyone know if there is a good lens hood for the 12mm Olympus lens? The one Olympus sells is over $80, that's a bit much for a hood. Also if there is one that you don't have to screw on to the side of the barrel would be nice, I'd be afraid to scratch the barrel w/ the screw.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Canada
    Tons, just search ebay using keywords 'olympus 12mm hood'

3. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    I have the jcc hood and it's fine but it came with some scratches in the aluminium finish. It has the screw and to avoid my lens getting scratched I used some tape to protect the barrel in the area in contact with the lens but I guess it is not necessary at all. This lens really needs a hood to prevent flare and increase contrast. Don´t ever take it off, even at night or indoors.

4. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I bought a knockoff on ebay and was unhappy with it.
    I then got the Olympus hood, which I wish I had bought in the first place.

5. SNTP

SNTP Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2011
    the olympus one has a screw, but it tightens a metal band around the lens barrel, so it's not like the screw will be grinding against the barrel. no need to worry about that. i bought it used from a friend for $40, and i believe at that price it's "ok" I could see buying this at $25-30 new. That's what the price should have been.

6. aussieg

aussieg Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    Just got my ebay halfprice hood. Metal, screw tightens band not direct into lens inside painted black. To my untrained eyes a good buy

7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Yup, bought a knock off as well has the band so the screw does not scratch the lense. Was less than half the only hood and is a direct knock off looks exactly the same. I suspect it is with out the only packaging.

8. ashishbajoria

ashishbajoria Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2012
    Hi guys. I got the oly hood for the 12mm and if ur not careful with it has potential to scratch the lens too.. Saw bad in on my lens body.... I now keep the hood reversed on the lens in loose condition... Reverse and tighten only when needed...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.