Olympus 12mm lens hood?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by thisisanton, May 8, 2012.

1. thisisanton

thisisanton Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Does anyone know if there is a good lens hood for the 12mm Olympus lens? The one Olympus sells is over $80, that's a bit much for a hood. Also if there is one that you don't have to screw on to the side of the barrel would be nice, I'd be afraid to scratch the barrel w/ the screw.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Tons, just search ebay using keywords 'olympus 12mm hood'
  3. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    I have the jcc hood and it's fine but it came with some scratches in the aluminium finish. It has the screw and to avoid my lens getting scratched I used some tape to protect the barrel in the area in contact with the lens but I guess it is not necessary at all. This lens really needs a hood to prevent flare and increase contrast. DonĀ“t ever take it off, even at night or indoors.
  4. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    I bought a knockoff on ebay and was unhappy with it.
    I then got the Olympus hood, which I wish I had bought in the first place.
  5. SNTP

SNTP Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2011
    the olympus one has a screw, but it tightens a metal band around the lens barrel, so it's not like the screw will be grinding against the barrel. no need to worry about that. i bought it used from a friend for $40, and i believe at that price it's "ok" I could see buying this at $25-30 new. That's what the price should have been.
  6. aussieg

aussieg Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    Just got my ebay halfprice hood. Metal, screw tightens band not direct into lens inside painted black. To my untrained eyes a good buy
  7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Yup, bought a knock off as well has the band so the screw does not scratch the lense. Was less than half the only hood and is a direct knock off looks exactly the same. I suspect it is with out the only packaging.
  8. ashishbajoria

ashishbajoria Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2012
    Hi guys. I got the oly hood for the 12mm and if ur not careful with it has potential to scratch the lens too.. Saw bad in on my lens body.... I now keep the hood reversed on the lens in loose condition... Reverse and tighten only when needed...