Olympus 12mm f2 in black

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ricoh, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    I'm wondering whether it's worth spending a few more £/$ to get the black12mm f2 compared to the silver version. I'd probably keep it, but if I don't, would the black version be a more saleable lens later on, given it's no longer in production (assuming what I've read about it on the net is correct).
    Any thoughts?
  2. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    I think it would be more than a few ££s as it was a limited edition and around £300 more than the silver. Shame as I'd quite like one myself!
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I recently swapped my silver 45 for the black version since the silver finish on the plastic lenses does not match the silver metal on the E-P5 and so the combo just looked odd. Black looks fine. However, I'm very happy with the looks of the silver 17/1.8 since the tones of the metals on lens and body match. Given that the 12 has the same metal construction as the 17, I think I'd not pay extra for the black edition - unless it was only £20 or so.
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I haven't seen that and I'd be very wary of the notion that rarity will make a big difference in resale value. If you want black and don't mind the cost, there's no reason not to get it, but from a value perspective, I suspect a secondhand silver 12/2 is will lose far less of its resale value over time.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, especially since Olympus could just decide to release a black version like they did with the 17/1.8.
  6. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    I'm glad I asked now, the feedback received has cleared my mind somewhat.
  7. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The SE black version includes the black hood, a metal lens cap and I believe a filter.
  8. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    I think that will be the one lens they won't mass produce in black in the future. I think they kind of used it as a tester to see if people wanted a black version of their lenses (which you know... seem like a no brainer), it also took them YEARS to finally give into supply a lens hood w/ the new 25mm.

Though it's more than the standard silver, it did come with all of the accessories, though even with those it does still come out to a bit more than the silver version + accessories.

Strangely, it's still for sale on the Olympus store- I guess they still have some kicking around.
  9. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    I can confirm filter and hood are included but I don't believe the cap is. Still doesn't justify the difference in cost, hood and filter add about $150 in value, so the black paint is $150 and that must be because it's limited and made from the hearts of former Olympus executives.
  10. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have a black 12mm lens and it include a plastic edge-pinch lens cap, metal lens cap that slips over the end of the lens, 46mm UV filter, and metal lens hood.

Regarding whether it is worth it to you or not, that's only a question you can answer. For me, it was. I HATE all silver lenses on an all black body (I have a Panasonic G6), however if you have a silver/black camera, the silver lenses don't look too bad.

Looking at resale value, that black lens definitely commands a premium over the silver lens on the used market. Just go to ebay, search "silver Olympus 12mm" and view sold items only. Then do the same for "black Olympus 12mm". There is a difference in price, and you'll get more for a black than you would a silver (however you pay more for one when you purchase it as well). About the only "risk" would be if Olympus released a black 12mm for the same price as the silver one, as it would kill the price premium of the black 12mm. However considering they haven't done that yet, and all their other lenses are black, I doubt they will.

All my other lenses are black (25 1.8, 45 1.8, 14-140 II, 100-300), and there was no way I was going to have one silver lens that stuck out like a sore thumb. Was the lens expensive? Yes. Was it worth it? Absolutely, as the images it produces are fantastic. I love the lens, and am very happy with my purchase.