Showcase Olympus 12mm f/2

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I like it. But what exactly am I looking at?
Ah, now - that's a very interesting question...

It's actually the roof space in one of the giant submarine repair buildings built by the Nazis at Lorient in Brittany. It's an amazing structure. Along with two others, it was constructed in only eleven months between Feb 41 and Jan 42 and became a thorn in the flesh for Britain in its battle with the German U-boat fleet in the North Atlantic.

The shot you're looking at shows a void between two roof layers. The lower layer is a solid reinforced concrete slab about 1.5m thick. The upper layer consists of sequential concrete slabs separated by a metre or so. The void between them is about 3m high and has several apertures along its sides. The idea is that a direct bomb impact would destroy part of the upper roof but the main blast would be directed along the void and out of the apertures leaving the main roof intact. It was very successful and was never penetrated by any bomb of the time. Along with other defences it and its two siblings were never compromised despite relentless air attack by the British.

In 1943 Churchill decided that the only way to put the base out of action was to instead raze the town of Lorient to rubble and so deny the Nazis access to essential infrastructure and resources. Attacks in Jan and Feb 1943 destroyed more than 90% of the town. Whether it actually made any difference is debatable since the U-boat was eventually defeated by a combination of sonar, radar and the cracking of the German Enigma codes.

After the war the French adopted it as one of their submarine bases, pensioning it off only in the 1990s when larger bases were needed for the newer nuclear submarines. The local authorities spent several years figuring out what to do with it. Demolition and clearing of the site was ruled out for reasons of cost - there being over 1.5 million cubic metres of re-inforced concrete in the complex as a whole. Instead it's now home to an array of activities from tourism (such as guided tours like the one I took to take the photo) to light industry.

Long explanation - but you did ask... :)

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Ah, now - that's a very interesting question...

It's actually the roof space in one of the giant submarine repair buildings built by the Nazis at Lorient in Brittany. It's an amazing structure. Along with two others, it was constructed in only eleven months between Feb 41 and Jan 42 and became a thorn in the flesh for Britain in its battle with the German U-boat fleet in the North Atlantic.

The shot you're looking at shows a void between two roof layers. The lower layer is a solid reinforced concrete slab about 1.5m thick. The upper layer consists of sequential concrete slabs separated by a metre or so. The void between them is about 3m high and has several apertures along its sides. The idea is that a direct bomb impact would destroy part of the upper roof but the main blast would be directed along the void and out of the apertures leaving the main roof intact. It was very successful and was never penetrated by any bomb of the time. Along with other defences it and its two siblings were never compromised despite relentless air attack by the British.

In 1943 Churchill decided that the only way to put the base out of action was to instead raze the town of Lorient to rubble and so deny the Nazis access to essential infrastructure and resources. Attacks in Jan and Feb 1943 destroyed more than 90% of the town. Whether it actually made any difference is debatable since the U-boat was eventually defeated by a combination of sonar, radar and the cracking of the German Enigma codes.

After the war the French adopted it as one of their submarine bases, pensioning it off only in the 1990s when larger bases were needed for the newer nuclear submarines. The local authorities spent several years figuring out what to do with it. Demolition and clearing of the site was ruled out for reasons of cost - there being over 1.5m cubic metres of re-inforced concrete in the complex as a whole. Instead it's now home to an array of activities from tourism (such as guided tours like the one I took to take the photo) to light industry.

Long explanation - but you did ask... :)
What a fascinating explanation and great photo. Thank you for both. I feel the 'informative' icon response I gave is woefully inadequate.

Austrokiwi

Mu-43 Regular
Any one who has visited Bratislava will know this statue. Its called Cumil ( I believe it means watcher) Camera OMD-EM10II
Cumil2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Just starting to study wide angle, mostly by leaving the lens on the camera and simply having to deal with it. I find it astounding just how close it is necessary to get to the foreground element.

Queen Anne's Lace
_HFB7874.jpg

Clover
_HFB8000.jpg

mpeg

4/3 Activist...
Real Name
Gordo
burns beach 1.jpg

exakta

Mu-43 All-Pro
Shot last night in a small bar that was literally wall to wall with people. Although I brought my 25 and 45, there was no room to back up and use them so I shot all with the 12. Everything shot at f2.8, shutter to taste.

PC210129.jpg
PC200106.jpg
PC210138.jpg

haunted scrap heap
So, I finally got around to trying this lens out on a reversal adapter. It does a pretty good 3:1, but the aperture control isn't very convenient... these were shot by setting it to (nominal) f/5.6 while attached normally, then removing it in DOF-preview mode, then attaching in reverse. Working distance is only about a centimeter.

e1245170.jpg

e1245191.jpg

e1245196.jpg

e1245187.jpg

e1245209.jpg

e1245210.jpg

mpeg

4/3 Activist...
Real Name
Gordo
IR.jpg

GRIDDD

Mu-43 All-Pro
Idre_07_.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom