1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus 12mm f/2.0 Lens Question

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by NikonD300, Aug 10, 2012.

1. NikonD300

NikonD300 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2011
    Am I reading the photo of this lens correctly, that I can focus it manually, so I can zone focus like I could on my old Leica lenses?

2. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    Yes. Pull the focus ring back and it manually disengages the AF allowing you to manually focus. A nice feature for any lens but a GREAT feature on wide angle lenses because of hyperfocal focusing.

3. NikonD300

NikonD300 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2011
    Saving my pennies

Just what I've been looking for. The lack of pre-focusing is the only problem I have with micro 4/3 lenses. Looks like I may have to bite the bullet and buy this baby!

4. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Funny thing about the 12/2's focus mechanism is that when pulled back, even though there are hard stops, it's still focus by wire. In fact, oddly enough, when the ring is pulled back, the lens focuses in discreet steps, not continuously. Not an issue for zone focusing, but if you are very precisely focusing up close with the lens, leave the ring forward for manual focus, as when forward, it has a continuous focus range...it's only when in dedicated manual focus mode that the lens switches to discreet steps, which is a little backward from how it should be.

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    David
    Can anyone tell me if this lens focuses manually the same way on Panasonic as it does on Olympus cameras, i.e. it disengages the AF?

David

6. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Yup...works fine on both.

• Like Like x 1