1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 12mm f/1, 25mm f/1, and 50mm f/1 Lenses Rumored for 2016

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by PacNWMike, Mar 9, 2015.

1. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
  2. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    I really wish they would build up a super telephoto range before they go building more redundant focal length lenses, faster or not.

• Like Like x 1
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I hear you, but mu43 is always hearing about their inability to do narrow depth of field. I suspects that motivates these really fast lenses.

4. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    They are of no interest to me. I consider primes to be specialty lenses. I would much prefer a "normal" range zoom that covers more territory on both ends than the 12-40

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'll take the 12 f/1.0 please! That lens will be sick for low light urbanscapes!

• Like Like x 1
  6. MassimoFoti

MassimoFoti Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2014
    Lugano (Switzerland)
    It's hard to tell, it will depend on cost/size/weight...

Still having such special lenses would be good for Micro 4/3, yet another sign of a mature system

7. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I need to take low-iso, high-speed shots of my friends dressed in black at night. Surely thats everyones use case for a lens ?

I've actually been enjoying my old Nikon 28-105 AF-D - its actually pretty compact for a full-frame zoom and the macro capability is really handy.
    If Oly could make their 12-50mm more compact at the same price-point that would be interesting to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Make it a 10-70 at the same size and I'm in.

9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

At some point it just makes more sense to get a second system with a larger sensor. I think anyone with $5k to burn on a chunky high grade prime trio probably wants to shoot FF anyway.

f1.4 seems like a more logical and practical step up for Olympus' current f2 and f1.8 lenses in those focal lengths.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. w0den

w0den Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    New Jersey
    Personally I would jump on a 25mm f/1.0. I was about to buy the 1.8. Since I am in no rush, I will give it a year and see if this rumor materializes, and if the size of the lens and cost are within reason. I would also be happy with a 1.8 weather sealed, though a faster lens would definitely be a welcome addition.

12. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Too bad a 17/17.5mm is not listed as a possibility.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No way it is less than $1000.

14. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    The 25 f/1 seems like a natural complement to the 12-40 for when you need the extra three stops.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I wonder how big they'll be. Low-light advantage over a full frame f1.8 lens but would require ND filters, ISO 100, 1/8000 sec, etc., to maintain the shallow DOF in the sunlight. This is good news for someone wanting to stick with m4/3s strictly. For someone like me, however, I'll have to get shallow DOF the poor man's way by going full frame: A7 with adapted lenses.

16. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I think that we have guidelines. Looking at the Voigtlander 17.5 and 25mm. Both of those lenses are slightly smaller but significantly heavier than the O12-40. My guess is that the Olympus lenses will be lighter and inferior optically to the Voigtlanders but offer AF.

17. MassimoFoti

MassimoFoti Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2014
    Lugano (Switzerland)
    Friends at night are a common subject for sure. I am afraid that part about being dressed in black make it a bit less common :)

18. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    though i will probably not have enough money to buy all of them, this is very good news, especially for shallow DOF lovers. Enough of the f1.8 limit by Olympus. Also, this shows more signs of a mature system, which will attract more people. Hopefully they'll be weather sealed, as it is foolish that the only primes to be sealed are niche ones (60mm macro and a 8mm fisheye).

this. I love this FL, especially since (it seems to me) the FL itself is giving a kind of pop to the subject, and would love a faster lens than f1.8. But then again, Olympus already has two lenses in this FL, one f2.8 and one f1.8. Guess we have to wait for Panasonic to issue one...

I see myself switching to the 25mm f1.0, and (in the future) aim towards the 7-14 PRO, 25mm f1.0, 50mm f1.0 and a 45-175mm (40-150, while magnificent, is a bit large for my taste). Throw in a Raynox 250 and that would cover EVERYTHING i need.

19. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    An upgraded 17mm is surely warranted.

20. Dave Lively

Dave Lively Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    I suspect if you look at the optical design what you would see is something like a FF lens with a built in speedbooster. Every bit as big and heavy and more expensive than a lens for a larger sensor that offers similar field of view and shallow depth of field. I could see someone buying one of these for certain uses but anyone that has more than one should really be looking at a FF second system.

• Agree Agree x 2