Olympus 12mm and 14mm f/1.0 patents

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Whtrbt7, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Did anyone see these yet? These patents look like lenses produced would be decently larger than current 1.8 designs. These patents look very promising for the future of m43. I just hope to see more variety in designs as time goes by.

• Like Like x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Please Oly, can I have a 7 or 8mm rectilinear prime first? - preferably small and reasonably priced - I don't mind if it's f2.8, or even f4!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    If these make it into production at a very reasonable price then it'll be almost as if Olympus listened to that topic I made a while back that was very unappreciated to put it lightly.

Good to see the maturation of m43s will give us the option of going between small and light and bigger but highly capable.

If you don't miss autofocus (Ultrawide! Set to parafocal and stop down and you're done for any landscape) and you're willing to drop cash onto a focal length reducer:

Samyang 10mm f/2.8 (APS-C lens) = 7mm f/2.0. Not too bad in size. Unfortunately you don't get a filter thread.

If you want a filter thread, Sigma makes two 10-20 zooms that work great for that. Pick your poison: f/4.0-5.6 or a much heftier constant f/3.5 with a giant 82mm thread.

4. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Releases like this and the p42.5 make me reconsider the desire to go ff. Don't forget there's a 7-14 2.8 coming.

• Like Like x 1
  5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I concur!

6. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    What about the Kawa 8.5mm f/2.8?

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It will be manual focus only and cost well over $1000. I also hate using cine geared rings with my fingers.

8. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    The gear thing I get, but at 8.5mm, I'm not sure that MF really matters at all. Even wide open, you're looking at 2.8ft to infinite when set to the hyperfocal distance. I'd say set it and forget it.

9. -Dan-

-Dan- Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    Is there any update when the release date is?

10. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Yes - next year (probably).

11. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    I would prefer a smaller, cheaper f/4, but the Kowa may make it into my bag. :smile:

12. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    can't imagine these lenses being inexpensive.... thats a whole lot of bits of glass in those designs

K

13. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Besides low-light, what would you use a 12/1.0 for?

14. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    The 12mm f1 is exciting. 12 is wide enough for me and though I love using the 12 f2, I would love using the wider aperture to get some shallow depth of feel.

Sent from my trusty Samsung Galaxy Note 2

15. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I thought f1 for such a wide lens was a bit strange too. When i initially bought the 12mm f2, I was quite pleased with the relatively high aperture, but do I ever use it at f2? Hardly. There are other lenses for that.

16. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Event photographers, especially at wedding receptions, will appreciate this lens. It's still has a larger DOF than the 24mm f/1.4s for Canon & Nikon, but being able to keep the shutter speed up and the ISO down in a dimly lit room will be appreciated. Such a lens would nicely close the gap between the standard systems for event shooters and μ43.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    All I'm asking for is for Olympus to not price gouge on these. Seeing the Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 refurb price really made me consider it compared to the typical pricing I'm used to seeing, but it was outside of my allocated budget for "photographic spending with a D3s as a goal in mind." The PL42.5 is however, far outside of my considerations for the price-performance ratio it gives and I'll remark that it is a great lens.

18. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    but please with a filter thread in front.

19. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Amen to that (but I suspect at the FOV for a 7 or 8mm lens, it might be a tall order!!)