Olympus 12-50mm EZ Lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LeeOsenton, Mar 10, 2012.

1. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Anyone else considering this lens? I am considering it for the following reasons:
    - 12mm @ f/3.5
    - Macro with 0.36x magnification (0.72x 35mm equivalent)

The few reviews I have found all concur that build quality is very good. Most agree that the lens is reasonably sharp at 12mm but softens when zoomed with 50mm being the worst. The macro image samples I have seen look excellent. Excluding the slow aperture beyond 40mm; the lens looks like a viable option as a replacement for the kit lens with wider and near-macro in a single lens.

The cost ($500 u.s.) is really high; but a Pan 45mm and Oly 9-18mm will cost more than double and each will only see occasional use in my kit. I currently have the Pan 14mm, Pan 20mm, and Oly 40-150mm. I have sold my seldom used gear and built up funds to buy some new lenses for a trip to europe. My emphasis is on fast and wide. The Pan 20 was on the top of my list, but I ended up with both Pan pancakes for less than I thought. I want to carry only the camera and a small pouch on my belt with a spare memory card, battery, and one lens.

I see the Oly 12-50mm as a multi-purpose lens that may not excel at any single task, but seems to do well at many. I personally don't care about the splash proofing or motorized zoom, but they are welcome features. Are there other considerations I should be making?

Lee

2. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I originally ordered the OM-D E-M5 with that lens, but I ultimately changed my mind. I ordered the 4/3 12-60mm f2.8-4 + MMF-3 adapter instead. I decided it was worth it to fork the extra money for my main all-around lens. But it's expensive, the 12-60 being 1000$ (+adapter 180$).

3. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I'm going the same route. The 12-60 seems to get really good reviews, and it's weather sealed.

4. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    YES, the main reason I sold my E-P3 for the OM-D and want my main lens to be weather proof! I lost my first film SLR camera to a water splash: 550$!

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Zuiko 14-54mm is a more affordable option for the OP though. The original version, which is slower to AF than the new version but not much slower than the 12-60mm, is only half that price... in other words, a similar price to the m.Zuiko 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3. Granted, that's without the cost of the MMF-3. For a couple hundred more, you can get the Mark II version of the 14-54mm, which is CDAF compatible and the fastest to AF out of these three choices. Plus... if you buy used than all of these lenses can be got for the same price or even hundreds less than the kit zoom (which will at least make up for the cost of the adapter)!

I do think the 12-60mm is worth the $1000, but I just had to point out the more affordable choices so the OP doesn't get sticker shock. ;) I personally think these are all better options than the slow kit lens. You simply can't replace optical quality and wide aperture performance.

6. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    12-50

I bought the 12-50 because in the uk its only 150GBP ie 235 USD
    But i dont feel good about buying a non sharp, slow,bulky lens.

I nearly bought the 12-60 too, but didnt, not because of the AF or $ but of the weight because i would use this lense for hiking.

Otherwise i dont care changing lenses between the 12/25/45

Now my hope is on pana 12-35 but its going to be more heavy than needed, thanks to the IS.

7. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Both the 14-54 and the 12-60 are awesome lenses. I owned the 14-54(I) and still have the 12-60. AF is painfully slow using the MMF-2 adapter though (at least they did on the EP2 and GH2). I never tried them as MF lenses, but I assume that the 12-60 would work great, because it's a mechanical zoom ring. The 12-60 is a chunky piece of glass though. Might overpower the OMD. It definitely overpowers a E410/510/620.

8. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    If you really want the 12-50, wait until the E-M5 comes out. I'm sure there will be plenty of people selling their kit lens for less than the going price of the 12-50 by itself.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    Starlabs makes an excellent point.

I would also look into the panasonic 14-150 and I know it's big, but if you want to only carry one other lens, then what other lens can offer that versatility with it's IQ? Besides it's a proven performer and the new Olympus is yet to be seen by users...instead of testers...

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think the 12-60mm is a great lens, but if size on the OM-D is concerned then the 14-54mm is a significantly smaller package. It is the most compact design I've come across for a lens of its class, and always makes the Canikon guys envious of its small size.

Then add to the fact that the Mark II version is also the fastest in its class to AF with CDAF, and is also quite affordable, and you've got a close to ideal package with the OM-D. The only thing better would be the same lens in native mount. ;)

11. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Ned,

I am hoping to get a little wider than the standard 14mm, so that leaves the 14-54mm out. The 12-60mm is certainly a fine lens, but it is way too large for a carry around all day tourist lens. I bought the Panasonic 20mm for low light, but also bought the 14mm because it was very cheap. I read that Panasonic is about to release a wide angle converter for the 14mm and 14-42mm lenses. I have only taken a few pictures with the 14mm, but it seems to be pretty good. I am thinking that may be a valid option and then I can spend the rest on either the Pan or Oly 45mm. Macro or portraits? So many options with mu-43...

Lee

12. Kees

Kees Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Kees Dignum
    Unless weather sealing is important...

13. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The 14-54mkII is weather sealed...

14. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Just a note that macro magnification numbers express the size of area viewed by the sensor in relation to the area of the sensor plane. At .36x, the sensor will capture an area approximately 3x the size of the sensor itself at closest focus. This isn't doubled due to a halving of the sensor size, it will always be 3x the size of the sensor when the same lens is used. In other words IF the 12-50mm could be used on a full frame sensor, it would still yield .36x magnification, just that the area captured would be 3x the size of the full frame sensor, instead of 3x the size of the m4/3 sensor.

Onto the lens, if you have some time to wait for your purchase, with all of the people pre-ordering the e-m5, perhaps you could arrange for someone who only wants the body to purchase the 12-50mm kit and part the lens out to you for a mutually agreed upon price. The $500 price is a premium for what is essentially a higher end kit lens - once the market is saturated with them, the value will inevitably likely be in the mid-$200 range. A fair price from someone parting the kit should be around $375, netting you a cheaper lens and netting them $50 for their trouble, an easy win-win for both parties.

15. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    And the new MMF-3 adapter is also weather sealed to pair it with on the e-m5.

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm on the fence whether to cancel my body-only E-M5 pre-order and go with the 12-50 kit. It looks like a big lens, though. At that size, I see myself using the 14-150 more.

17. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    I own the 14-150mm which is quite a good lens and don't consider the 12-50mm as a very useful addition apart from the weather sealing and the macro mode. Someone who does not need both features may be happier with the 14-150mm lens, which is very versatile and faster at the common range of focal lengths (at 50mm it is more than a full stop). The price difference between body only and the kit is not extremely big, but the money may be spent more wisely.

18. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Well, the 12mm is quite a bit wider than the standard 14mm-xyz zooms. If the 12-50 was collapsible and was more in the range of the standard 14-42mm in size, I'd be all over it.

The 14-54mm mk2 4/3 is "collapsible" and weather-sealed, no? (I don't own one... yet!) So I suspect it can be done. I'm sure we'll see ANOTHER zoom in the future, perhaps a 12-50 mk2 that is collapsible.

19. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I'll get one with the OMD. Even though it's slow and not spectacular, it'll focus very fast and be a good traveling lens. Still have a 14-54II for the money shots though.

Gordon

20. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I'm getting one with my E-M5; I have a bunch of legacy primes and my typical strategy is to have a kit/decent zoom to complement them.

The weather sealing is key for me. Are there any rumors about future m4/3 lenses with weather sealing?